Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating a Network

• Please log in to reply

john2887

john2887

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I want to try and connect my roommates' computers together with mine and a printer over a network. I have tried other tutorials, however, as soon as all the instructions are followed and I try to access the hard drive of another computer access is denied. I would also like for the printer to work so that everyone can print from their own computer. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

We have 3 laptops (wireless internet connection), 1 computer (connected by CAT5), and a printer that we want to connect together through a wireless router. I also want to set this network up securely so that the neighbors are unable to see or access the network.

If any additional information is needed please let me know how I can obtain it. Also, would a virtual private network be most convenient in this case? Or are there other ways that might be easy as well. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you tried the wireless network set up wizard in the Control panel? Does your router have documentation to explain how to lock down your network? Have you got file sharing enabled?
Johanna

john2887

john2887

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Have you tried the wireless network set up wizard in the Control panel?
-Yes, however I get the 'access denied' when I try to access another hard drive.
Does your router have documentation to explain how to lock down your network?
-Yes, I wasn't sure if there were other ways to further secure it.
Have you got file sharing enabled?
-Yes, I see the icon change to show a hand.

john2887

john2887

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So now I have deleted all the network icons. I figured I'd come here and start over.