Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer/Windows running sloow

• Please log in to reply

djalund

djalund

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, my problem is that my computer is running rather slow. There seems to not be enough memory to handle more then one window that is open and operating.
I have Internet Explorer 7, Windows XP Pro - Version 2002 with an Intel Pentium III processor. 648 MHz, 768 MB of RAM. CA Internet Security Suite.
When I open/use more then one window, my computer crawls, almost freezes. When I check the Task Manager to see what's using the memory, etc., I see svchost.exe, cafw.exe, avgas.exe, capfasem.exe, msascui.exe, & msiexec.exe, (just to name a few), using then most memory & not allowing it to be used by the windows applications. Not sure if it's the settings or something else.
I'm also having a problem with my lite-on LTN483S 48x Max CD-ROM; but I'm trying a little internet research first on this.
Any information &/or help that you can give me would be most appreciated!
Sincerely,
djalund

Attached Files

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
A 648mhz CPU really isn't much to be running Windows XP. The programs you have listed are for the most part real-time protection for your anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall. Is your computer noticably slower than before? Has it always been slow?

On to the issue of the CD drive. How old is the drive? What problems are you experiencing?

Grind

Grind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ya a Pentium 3 Proccesor isnt good for windows XP... Those were made for Windows 98.
Can you pls tell us what type of memory it is.. DDR (2100,2700,3300,etc..)
And i prefer you do some research on your motherboard and see if your motherboard will use a 3.0 GHZ pentium 4 processor or a very cheap Dual Core processor..