Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding Subtitles to a standard DVD

• Please log in to reply

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I want to add subtitles to a DVD of my own footage, and I've Googled this to death but I can't work out how to use the programs like IfoEdit Subtitle Workshop that everyone recommends.

Can anyone provide a tutorial of exactly what to do?

These are the following scenarios:

1. I have a standard DVD and I want to add subtitles to it without having to re-author it.

2. I'm getting a Mac Pro and would like to know how to Author a DVD preferably using Apple software (such as iMovie or Final Cut Studio 2 if possable). I haven't got the Mac Pro yet 'cause I'm waiting for the new OS but if you could tell me which programs for the Mac support subtitles then that'd be great.

If anyone can help (especially with the second scenario) that'd be great.

Thanx
Daffy_elmo

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Daffy_elmo,

What format is the video in now? It is from my understanding that you have to use some sort of Subtitling program. And you will probably have to re encode it.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Well in the first case like I said, it's a standard compliant DVD (.VOB files) and I want to add subtitles to these without re-authoring if possible.

In the second case I'll be authoring the disc from scratch (mostly mini-DV camera tapes) on an Apple Mac Pro, so I only need to know which software (preferably from Apple) like Final Cut Studio can author a DVD with subtitles you can turn on and off (like a comercial DVD).
Thanks,
daffy_elmo

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
daffy,

Did a quick google Search for "subtitling program" and brought up this.

http://www.urusoft.n...oads.php?lang=1
and this
http://www.eztitles.com/

I am sure there are many more.

Edited by tuxmaster, 09 October 2007 - 08:50 AM.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi Tuxmaster,
I've already got a subtitling program called Subtitle Workshop.
It can save the subtitles in several formats but i don't know which one is compatible with DVD's. I don't want the subtitles embedded in the video - I want to be able to turn them on and off (Like a commercial DVD).
Do you or anyone else know whether Final Cut Studio 2 or iMovie can do this and what format of subtitle do they need?
Thanks,
Daffy_elmo

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
How actual DVD's that play in dvd players are made is a subject all in it's own. Usually Video editing software has a burn to dvd format that will encode the video into the correct format itself, and burn it to a dvd that is playable on a home dvd player. I am not familiar with Subtitle workshop so I would be unable to direct you in regards to that. Might want to give Urusoft Forums a try

I did find some reading if you want to look into it DVD formats.http://www.dvddemyst...com/dvdfaq.html

Edited by tuxmaster, 16 October 2007 - 05:11 PM.

sarah967

sarah967

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

You can also use a great website I had found recently.It is a great subtitles site! You can find many many movies and it is fast.
I was looking for something like for a long time.

You can download subtitles or request whatever subtitles you want, the only concern about it, is its interface, but I think it's easy to navigate.

Here is its link: AllSubs.org