Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MYSTERIOUS REBOOT PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

crispy

crispy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have a 2 year old Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP Pro. Sometimes when I try to shut down, the computer reboots instead, so I have to wait for it to boot up and then shut down again. Annoying, but seemingly not life-threatening. Unfortunately, yesterday, I was just typing an address into Explorer, and the computer decided to reboot all by itself, with absolutely no prompting from me. This made me think that maybe there is something else a little more serious going on. Can anyone give me an idea of why this would happen, and what I should do to fix it?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Shut off the auto restart.
Cotrol Panel > System> Advanced> Start Up & Recovery> Settings untick "automatically restart"

Go into Admin Tools> Event Viewer and post any errors that correspond with the restarts. If the computer blue screens, write down the error code and post it here.
Johanna

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 10/6/2007
Time: 10:31:31 PM
User: N/A
Computer: UPSTAIRS
Description:
The DV Series Video Capture service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

This is the only error I could find at the time of the reboot instead of shutdown the other night. I find no error listed at the time of the mysterious reboot for no reason.