Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS 98 START-UP PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

JSR54

JSR54

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Everybody out there I'm trying to help a friend with his computer with windows 98 but am getting a blue screen with an exception 06 has occured at 0028:00000017 in vxd --- this was called from 0028:c182d6f0 in vxd volt track(04)+00000430 can anybody shed any light on what the problem might be and how to correct it thanks in advance for any help with this problem

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
vxd means virtual device driver, so begin with a driver update for all hardware.

Is thsi problem recent? Did he recently install KB891711 from windows update? Your error is new, but this update has caused all kinds of wierd errors....try uninstalling it

I have never seen VOLT TRACK before, but it sounds like a voltage tracker...any hardware monitoring programs like motherboard monitor installed (or one supplied by motherboard maker?). Try uninstalling that

JSR54

JSR54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the information this is not my computer so unsure of updates but i'm able to boot to windows with no problem with the cd rom and cdrw power unpluged this is totally new components barebones with exsiting hard drive with 98 on it any ideas on this situation thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so you took an existing windows installation and plunked it in a totally new machine (Motherboard included)? Or are the cd drives just new?

JSR54

JSR54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
exactly the motherboard memory cd rom cdrw are all new i bought a barebones and installed the exsiting hd boots ok without the cd rom and cdrw

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, now I have a better handle on what's going on....

Well, the beauty of windows 98 is that what you did works about 80 percent of the time. The bad news is you're in the 20 percent that does not.

The error you are seeing is the OS trying to find hardware it no longer has, or finding similar hardware that is just different enough to kibosh the whole thing.

In that 20 percent of cases where what you did does not work, in many cases you are looking at a reinstall, but there is still one more thing you can try--do you have a windows cd?