Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gfx card fan

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hello,

I have a GeForce 6800XT, some cheap make. The fan seems to be getting quite loud, so i checked it out, nothing is loose or anythig, is it possible to replace or fix?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to geekstogo, should not be hard to replace but before that have you tried using a dry air can to blow out the dust bunnies(though it doesn't look like there are any) or seeing if there is another reason why your card is working overtime

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yeah the card doesnt work overtime, i don't play games on it. I used to but not anymore. I will try a dry fan :) Thanks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Yeah the card doesnt work overtime, i don't play games on it. I used to but not anymore. I will try a dry fan :) Thanks.

I really advise against changing your GPU cooler, unless you know exactly what your doing you will cook your card.
James

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks james,

it's just a bit of a pain when it goes so loud. Can you maybe point me in the general direction of a good way to change it or should i just leave it alone?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It depends on how long your warrenty is. Many major GPU brands such as EVGA and BFG have lifetime warrenties on their cards. If your warrenty still has some life on it then I would not touch it. Changing the cooler usually always voids your warrenty. If your warrenty is gone and you don't game anymore I would say go for it. Have you ever had to apply thermal compound to a CPU or other chipset?

Edited by Titan8990, 08 October 2007 - 02:25 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

it's just a bit of a pain when it goes so loud. Can you maybe point me in the general direction of a good way to change it or should i just leave it alone?

Unless it becomes unbearable it's not really worth the risk. Also, a decent GPU cooler costs $50 or more, in which case you might as well just get a new card for a bit more. Secondly, I'm not sure where you would find a aftermarket GPU cooler for that card as it is older and you will generallyl only find a aftermarket cooling for newer cards.
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Well I had a look on newegg. I was able to dig this up: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835887007. There is of course always the chance that it will be as loud or louder than your stock fan. There is also a good chance you will not be able to find anything like this in your area.

Like James said for a bit more you can just get a new video card. Here is what I dug for that (passive cooling): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125074

Edited by Titan8990, 08 October 2007 - 03:18 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's not as good, but if you don't game it shouldn't matter - it's cheaper. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121084

BTW, do you have an AGP or PCI-Express slot?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yeah well, hmmm. it's a AGP card but i will be upgrading the entire PC soon, and looking through the system building forum of things. Right now i am in a situation where my pc stays in my room and i leave it on at night. Then i wake up to go do the .. well you know ... and i cant go back to sleep so i just shut it down. I took the card out completely, coz i have onboard vga, and what a difference! Quite as a mouse! Of course this takes system memory and having a card installed would just be better. I don't 'really' have much to lose by trying to replace the fan but it's a nice little card for what i need, like playing Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 etc. Know what i mean?

The card cost me like R1200 [About $172] a while back.

Ag, i will mess around a bit, see if i can find one online and how much they are, if they are to much, i will try a few tricks and if it bombs out tough luck hey. No one will buy a noise AGP card nowdays anyway.