Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video File

• Please log in to reply

IronJenny

IronJenny

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I do a lot of work in Windows Movie maker, A LOT :) Just recently, I went to go through my system to get rid of un-needed files. When I clicked in one file under MY VIDEOS, IE either gives me a message, "Windows needs to shut down", something like that, or it just shuts off completely. Also, when I try to import from my video file into WMM, it shuts down. At one point I did get a message about a Dr Watson Post Mortem Debugger error, but not really since. Can you help? :)

I had a problem back in July, but can't recall off the bat how to get and send you a copy of a "LOG?" Please help when you have the time. My last posts, I thought "Rip Chain" had dropped me, and I was upset. But NOW I know the rules :) , and will wait patiently. Thanks to anyone who can help me. Deb =)

*Also: just remembered, When I try to delete a file in my Video's section, it says it can't because a Thumb.db is being used by another file or person, please close all (Whatevers) and try again......I dunno what that is. And there's also something refering to a "iggydeppflv." that's doing something. Argh!! LOL Thanks =)

Edited by IronJenny, 08 October 2007 - 12:59 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok".
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.

IronJenny

IronJenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Did that, and this is what popped up:

RegSvr32

Unrecognized flag: /

Usage: regsvr32[/u][/s][/n]//i[:cmdline]]dllname
/u - Unregistered server
/s - Silent; display no message boxes
/i - call DllInstal passing it an optional [cmdline]; when used with /u
calls dll uninstall
/n - Do not call DllRegisterServer; this option must be used with /i

What do I do now? Thanks for responding. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I do charity work, and we've been real busy.
Thanks again. Will be waiting for a reply. :)

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello IronJenny,

Go ahead and try the steps again they do work. Please notice the space in between 2 and /.

IronJenny

IronJenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi there, thanks for the speedy reply. I did try it again, rebooted, and I stil get an error message saying
"windows has experienced a problem and needs to close" any time I go to that particular file to open something.
What am I doing wrong. sorry to bother you so much. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks Deb

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Is it just only one file that this is happening to or one type of file?

IronJenny

IronJenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a file under MY DOCUMENTS. It's called my videos.
When I even click on the file to go into it's contents, it fails and shuts down.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
IornJenny,

What is the format that the file is in?

IronJenny

IronJenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Windows Media Video/Audio File And some AVI's, but mostly WMV.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What version of Windows Media Player are you using? Is Windows Media Player your default player?

Edited by tuxmaster, 20 October 2007 - 02:06 AM.