Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sara

sara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi bananafanafo,

i have tried to install service pack 2 but i have recieved an error messgae saying:

" [I] windows xp service pack cannot install......the product key used to instal microsoft windows may not be valid. for more information on this eror please go to howtotell.com"

:tazz: maybe my xp edition isnt legitimate ;)

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
We can try this:

Go to howtotell.com click on the "Windows Validation Assistant" then click on "Validate now" let me know everything it says.

sara

sara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i've been to the site and clicked on validate now and it says:

It appears that your Windows Product Key is not valid. Please contact your system administrator or retailer immediately to obtain a valid Product Key.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I'm sorry :tazz:

Geeks to Go policy prevents us from being able to help anyone who has an invalid copy of Windows. If you obtain a legal copy, I will be more than happy to help.

sara

sara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok thanks for all your help and im sorry i wasted your time i hosnestly thought my copy of xp was ligitimate

sara

sara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
sorry to bother you again when u posted ur first reply to my problem you said that i had a Trojan Dropper.

please can you tell me which trojan dropper you think i have as i have found a small list of them

1. Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.ed
This is a primitive Win32 Trojan. It is written in C, and packed using PecBundle and PECompact. The packed file is approximately 48KB in size, and the unpacked file is approximately 114KB in size. It creates a synchronization object named "BaloonMutex". This checks the system for active copies of...

2. Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Checkin
Checkin is a "downloader" trojan that downloads a given file from a certain site and runs it. The trojan itself is a Windows PE EXE file, written in MS Visual C++. The trojan file sizes are of the following approximate sizes: "Checkin.a": 50Kb "Checkin.b": 45Kb The trojan EXE file does not...

3. Trojan-Dropper.Win32.ExeBundle
This program is an "improved" version of the TrojanDropper.Win32.ExeStealth. In addition to "ExeStealth" is is able to carry and drop files with following filename extensions: COM, BAT, CMD, VBS.

4. Trojan-Dropper.Win32.ExeStealth.20
This program is not "trojan programs" itself, but it is designed: to hide other EXE files inside itself to install these EXE files to other machines in silent mode I.e. this program was designed to hide, deploy and install not asked EXE files to victim machines. So, it is a usual...

5. Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Small.kv
This primitive Trojan is written in Assembler and is packed using FSG. The packed file is approximately 6KB in size, and the unpacked file is approximately 60KB in size. When launching, it saves a file named eplrr9.dll (which contains Trojan.Win32.StartPage.nu) to the %System% directory. It then...

6. Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Small.ff
This Trojan installs and executes a Trojan downloader program. It is written in Visual C++ and packed using UPX. The size of the packed file is 55296 bytes, and the size of the unpacked file is 108544 bytes. When launched, this Trojan creates and then executes a file named hrlypn35.dll in the...

7. TrojanDropper.VBS.Zerolin
Programs which belong to this Trojan family are written in Visual Basic Script. They are coded to install a range of viruses on victim machines. Malicious programs installed by versions of TrojanDropper.VBS.Zerolin range from primitive key logging programs to multi-functional backdoors and worms.

thankyou sara

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hi sara - It's actually a group of Trojans. But this is the name: Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Small.wy

I'm sorry I couldn't help. This topic is now closed. If you are able to obtain a legitimate copy of XP, feel free to start a new topic and we'll be happy to help!