Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen will not go past Safe Mode!

• Please log in to reply

avila

avila

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'd like to have a go at repairing my computer myself if at all possible. Using Windows XP Home Edition. When I switch on getting black screen giving options like Safe Mode etc. Cursor will not select any of them, stuck on Start windows normally and continually rebooting itself. Didn't get software CD with computer. Can I download the software and restart it. Don't want to lose all my documents etc stored. Been trying to get advice on this. Can anyone in this forum help please.

Accidently started the computer a few days ago (but after crash) with a driver cd in. Can then press the F8 button and get into the Windows Advanced options menu.

Don't really know what I'm doing, but would like to give it a try.

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
use arrow keys onyour keyboard to navigate your way to safemode
then press enter

avila

avila

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
"When I switch on getting black screen giving options like Safe Mode etc. Cursor will not select any of them, stuck on Start windows normally and continually rebooting itself".

Really, I cannot navigate cursor at all. Just does not move. Tried rebooting holding down F8, still goes to the Safe Mode etc options. Any other ideas?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
if its your mouse cursor your trying to use ...it wont work at this stage of booting into safemode
but your keyboard should be functional
so if you use the arrow keys press the up arrow until it highlights safemode...then press enter
if none of these work then you turn off computer check your plugs at the back of computer make sure that the mouse and keyboard are properly plugged in
the other option you have is to check to see if keyboard and mouse are enabled in the bios
some computers tapping F1 ...F2....or delete can get you to bios

Edited by Mr Freeze, 09 October 2007 - 07:44 AM.