Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sounds are Not Playing

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Despite the last hour of trying...I can't get any sound out of my computer...It was working yesterday and truthfully I didnt hear anything out of it today after being thrown by my flying toolbar...so if anyone can give me a hand I would be much obliged...I am running XP Media...my sound card is Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS (BCC0)

Advertisements

Grind

Grind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Same problem on my computer so dont feel bad :)
I can hear the clicks and stuff sometimes but i cant hear music or sound effects from games...
When i click on the Volume Control icon in my tool bar it says

"There are no active mixer devices available. And then it gives me some intructions on what to do... But then when i go to Control Panel-Printers And Other Hardware-Add Hardware Then i do a scan for new hardware for sound and it says everything is installed... oh well i dont listen to to much music anyways lol

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Aww thats terrible Grind...geeze...I always listen to music while on my computer...its so much easier than loading cds..lol....(I know I'm lazy)...everything checks out on mine...no messages...just nothing...sighs...dead air space

Grind

Grind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Type in dxdiag into your run box and look in sound 2... Do you have your sound drivers... If not then download them... If you do then restart your pc and it might work if not then try redownloading the Driver

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks Grind..I went through the whole thing and everything seems to be operational and functioning properly...ARGH!

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
go to control panel>> sounds and audio devices>>Click hardware tab>>highlight this if you see it>>>Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Click advance or trouble shoot
that should generate an error report>>you should see Error code please post it

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Good Morning & Thank you for your suggestion Mr. Freeze...been there, done it with no error codes and it's still not making a sound.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 09 October 2007 - 07:14 AM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
go to control panel>>system>>hardware>>device manager>>audio and sound game controllers>>right click on>>> Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS..
Click uninstall drivers
restart your computer
hardware wizard will reinstall them back

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thank you again Mr. Freeze...well that didn't do it either...sighs....I'll be back in a bit..I have a doc's appt I have to go to.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
did you check to see if your sound is not muted
control panel
audio and sounds
open it
uncheck mute box
slider is at medium or max
icon is in system tray
and under audio tab
are all the defaults
are they all Sound Blaster

you still may have to trouble shoot your drivers
or change /update your sound card

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
okkkk...totally insane but I think I am on to something...I completely disconnected my headphones and turned on my speakers (ok...so I am terminally blonde....cringes...sometimes its even too much for me to bear) and the speakers work...so I'm thinking..ok..so the headset has a short...so I try them out on a laptop and guess what...they work on the lap top...im like...okkkk....put em back on my computer and reset to headphones and nada...wth is going on with this??

All the above checks out to the affirmative Mr. Freeze.

Now...I have this thingie called a Surround Mixer...this is where I changed from speakers to headset way back when when I got the headset (never touched anything since until now to check out if the speakers work or not). The sliders I see are... Master Control which contains sliders for volume, treble & bass. Second Area is labelled Source and it contains individual sliders for Wave/Midi Synth/CD Audio/Line In/S/PDIF-In/CD Digital...there are red "x's" at the S/PDIF-In & CD Digital which I presume means they are turned off?...Next there is a REC Area...you can change the settings there...currently it is on "What You Hear"...The Rec & button is red and so is the vertical line which I assume denotes volume (its at 80%)...The other settings available are Midi Synth/S/PDIF-In/CD Digital/Analog Mix (Line/CD/Aux/TAD/PC)/Wave.

Ok..this means nothing to me....I assume this mixer is associated with the Audigy2ZS SoundBlaster card. I clicked on the red x's and tried to play something..it shows as playing via media player...but cant hear it through the phones...Sheesh for not touching anything from one day to another (no adjustments) why does this happen?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Glad your main issue with sound is ok
as for headphones never used them
i use mostly windows media player console
there are a variety of sound consoles
i use windows ...probably because its simple
and easy to access
so i wouldnt be to concerned about sound blaster console

have you tried other head phones
when you plug head phones in
do hear or get a lot of static
connection could be bad
but like i said never tried headphones

Edited by Mr Freeze, 09 October 2007 - 09:54 AM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
On my computer there is no sound through the phones..they are dead silent.

On the laptop, music files play via Windows Media player sounding great..no static.

I use media player as well...the only reason I use the SB Mixer is to select speakers or phones.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 09 October 2007 - 11:21 AM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
maybe someone here in the forum has a solution
nothing comes to mind
the only thing i could think of is
check your sound properties and see what the settings are
if its same OS on laptop then see if the properties are the same
or try a different set of head phones

are you using IE7
go to tools and internet options
under general tab
click delete
and delete all
restart you computer
try headphones again

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I dunno whether the O/S makes a difference Mr. Freeze...we have 3 different versions of XP here and all have different sound cards.

Since I have sound in my speakers I guess this topic should be moved into hardware peripherals...I have logitech stereo phones and they don't work...and tried my daughter's Labtec 502's and they dont work either...both sets of phones work on the Toshiba laptops...sighs...

I have IE6 and Firefox and use Firefox mostly and clean out the cache on a regular basis.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 09 October 2007 - 12:51 PM.