Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sounds are Not Playing

• Please log in to reply

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
well i hope you find a solution to your problem
there could be a problem with the input jack but im uncertain
did you try a system restore
going to a time it was working good

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Let me just stick my nose in quickly with this: Guide to the Audigy 2 ZS.

For drivers should you need them, this is best to get them here for your sound card: Creative.

BTW, many PCs will cut off speaker sound when headphones are plugged in. That's my 2 cents. :)

Ron

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks for your 2 cents Ron. Really...I was wondering why my speakers would work while the phones were plugged in...they never used to before. So that leads me to believe that the phones aren't being recognized.

I was looking at the drivers at Creative but I'm not really sure of what to install there. I came back in to ask whether it would just be a good idea to use the disc that I installed the soundcard with in the first place would be a good thing to reload as it worked up till now...that maybe somehow one of the drivers became corrupt?

I'll check the guide..thanks for posting that link for me...I looked at one but it never addressed my dilemma.

**Ok...I looked...I downloaded the update for the Surround Mixer (where the adjustment is for either speakers or phones) and when I went to install ...it cancelled because "it cant find a previously installed version"...ARGH!

"be a good idea to use the disc that I installed the soundcard with in the first place would be a good thing to reload as it worked up till now...that maybe somehow one of the drivers became corrupt?"//// Not...its worse now...sighs....

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 09 October 2007 - 03:54 PM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Update:

I eventually did a system restore and the current status of my computer is that the speakers work (hurray)...the headset doesn't and components such as the Surround Mixer are not to be found...when I log on there is an invalid language message (I'll get back with the exact in a few) that pertains to the missing components.

Another question has popped to mind and that is...Although the headphones have been plugged in (and never unplugged other than to try and solve this mess), is it possible that the connection to the sound card just goes? The card is about 18 months old but I do listen to music almost constantly when I am on my computer so is this just wear and tear?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
go to your control panel system>>hardware>>>device manager>>audio sounds and game controllers>>click on the plus sign +
you should see your sound card drivers....right click on it and update it...even if there are no yellow or red marks showing

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks Mr. Freeze...At least this time the drivers updated (before they wouldn't). Unfortunately nothing's changed...the message I get on start up is:

CT Theme
An Invalid ID is being set
Caller: Volume_Control
Language ID: 1033

OK

AND

Surround Mixer (MxMgr.mxc)

OK

?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
MxMgr.mxc thats your sound mixer

Language ID: 1033..thats us english

your drivers need to be reinstalled
thats for you to decide
its not a big deal to reinstall them
but that should clear that start up message
do you have the software for your sound card
if not you gonna have to get them on line

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
You would think it would be that simple...I do have the software and I have reloaded it several times to no avail. I'm at the point now that I took the sound card out...and tried to uninstall via Add/Remove in Control Panel and wouldn't you know it..there is no uninstall file to do that...

Ok...so now what I have done is gone into BIOS and re-enabled the onboard Sigmatel card and both speakers an headset works...

So I guess we can end this thread...although I do want to upgrade my sound...I'll need another SB but will get Dell to approve it and install it...that way if it messes up...it will be their problem...now all I have to do is get my hands on an uninstall file for the residual software.

Thank you all for trying to help me with this...I've learned alot!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 10 October 2007 - 12:22 PM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Ok ...too bad about your sound card.
It could be for the best that you dont use it anymore.
Who knows what other problems it may have caused in the future.
All the same its good to know you do have sound with your on board sound.
If i helped you in any way its good too know.
Good Luck

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Another injection: Uninstalling for drivers and cards is done via the Device Manager. Very easy as it allows you to rollback drivers, delete drives, install new drivers, uncheck box which does not allow use of device at all, etc..

Think you said you checked headphones on another PC and they were good. The plug itself has been known to go bad from use/abuse.

Ron

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks for the interjection Ron..for clarification...you're saying that the soundcard plug could go bad from having headphone jacks sitting in them undisturbed for over a year?

I wanted to clarify that for learning purposes...I finally cleaned out Audigy and turned my onboard on in bios and everything worked...just that it all plugs in the front and only headphones or speakers can be plugged in at one time or so it appears...(Id rather not have to pull plugs and have them plug into a soundcard at the back...just a personal preference)

I talked to the tech at my husbands work that sold me this and created this (warranty) situation and he said to turn off the onboard in bios, put the soundcard back in the tower and reinstall software (after a clean scan disk & defragg)...All of which I did in the order he suggested....you guessed it...its a NO GO! (hitting major frustration level with this...) I dunno if I'll bother calling him back or looking for someone to have a look and just fix it...at this point it hardly seems worth my inexperienced time.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 11 October 2007 - 08:16 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I understand the frustration! Been through it myself. :) The way my front headphone jack works is that it will cut off my speakers which are connected at the back. From your post #11, that returned your sound to speakers when you removed headphones from front jack (and turned on speakers :)). From post #13, headphones worked ok on laptop. From post #15, two sets of phones tried, didn't work either on PC, but do on other computers. My link (Guide to the Audigy 2 ZS) in post #17 gives you step-by-step information on installing your sound card. Doesn't hurt to print it out.

If your phones have been plugged in for a year, the metal on contacts may have oxidized to the point there is no electrical connection. A good contact cleaner for electrical contacts that leaves no residue can be tried. I usually spray a little inside plug, insert/remove phone plug gently several times, respray and repeat. A gentle twist of plug may help cleaner to do its work. Doesn't hurt to use a clean clothe to clean plug after each insertion. Since it seems phone/speaker switching is done by software, all this may be to no avail.

A quick way to check plug, is to insert another sound card and see if plug and speakers work. Sound cards do go bad. Although I don't think this is the case right now. Just remember to discharge your body against case before poking around inside to remove all static electricity. And don't forget to make sure PC is unplugged and card(s) are properly seated! Same for connectors. :)

Win XP also has a good Sound troubleshooting method. Through Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices. Or, Start>Help and Support>Pick a Help topic>Games, sound & video problems. Good bet is you've been there, done that.

Ron

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I wasn't too sure about the Device Manager Uninstall but the Dell tech used that first and then we proceeded to a remove feature on the original install disc (which in itself doesn't get the job done). I ended up ordering the same sound card from Dell so I will be following those instructions for install just in case (although I didnt find it that difficult in the first place) As it turned out ~ I interchanged the speaker plug with the headphone plug and now the phones work and the speakers don't...so the "green" soundcard port has become dysfunctional (who knew?!). All in all ~ very frustrating; however, thanks to you guys...I did learn some (laughs....for the next time!!!)

Thanks again for all your help. (I do so hate being defeated by a computer...it's just wrong!)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Figured it might be the plug itself. Good work on your part.

Ron