Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Home Network with Satellite Internet and

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Here's the deal.

1. Satellite Internet through Hughesnet has a Fair Access Policy. Based on the Fair Access Policy I am allowed to download a total of 375mb a day at the guaranteed HIGH SPEED. Once I hit that limit I am cut to about 1kb per second for a 24hr period.

2. I have 3 (currently) computers hooked up using a Linksys Cable/DSL Router. My kids use theirs for homework as well as IM and MySpace etc... You know kids. I use mine for downloading game files from my boss (I work for HPS Simulations). My son and I also play Puzzle Pirates with all that we sometimes hit the limit.

My question is this! Is there a program that I can run on my machine that will let me know how much stuff is being downloaded by each person through my router? I want to be able to do this from MY computer and not have to run around to theirs to do this.

Any Help is appreciated!

Thanks

dog

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No because such data will all go through the router. If its not a feature in your router then running the software on your computer the picture of traffic will only reflect that which has been used on your computer. If you want a true picture you need to monitor each computer separately, then go round and total up the figures to see how much data transfer you've shifted since you last checked.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Hey Neil,
Thanks .... I understand that now. So how would I go about keeping track of the data downloaded on each computer?

dog

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Check on your ISP account
Most ISP have a download counter which you can access via the net and normally shows current usage.
I do not know if your isp provides this

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
My ISP does have a counter, but that is accurate for the entire account and not each machine. Also it is not current, but approximately 2 hours behind. Any other ideas?

dog

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Sorry i dont no the answer but why do they cut you down to 1kb second??
Bit stupid if you ask me :)

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
It's part of the Fair Access Policy that all Satellite Internet Companies use. It supposedly allows other members an EQUAL amount of time for downloading. To do that ... anyone that is over there "limit" gets cut to 1k or less a second.

Oh well, it's either that or dial-up ... nothing else is available ... no cable, DSL, or wireless. We live way out in the woods.

dog

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Ok thanks, i was just wondering why they would do that, But i suppose they have to

SpuD

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I use bandwidth monitor pro ($19.95 per license) because our bandwidth is capped to 100 gigs (combined dl and up) and me and my brother download quite a bit. You can find free programs, just google it.
Good thing about bandwidth monitor pro is that it gives you current data and can be customized (show both todays and current month's bandwidth usage)

Edited by kamille316, 09 October 2007 - 01:14 PM.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Thanks for that one ... I am looking into it now! I appreciate it.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Just thought i might mention these sites as they are good for findig free or fairly cheap programs

I have used the quite a bit in the past

http://www.download.com/

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/