Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new monitor showing up grainy

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I just recently bought a used dell lcd monitor (i've been using the same old hunk o' junk since 99 before this).

Everything looks fine until I look at stuff like screenshots, or large pictures that seem to turn out grainy. Does anyone know of some troubleshooting I can do to fix this? I have the color quality to the highest (32 bit) and the resolution is set at 1024 x 768.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Check to see what the native resolution of the display is. If you do not run it at that, it will not look right (been there, done that).

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I usually find that LCD monitors always look a bit off when hooked up with VGA as opposed to DVI. Follow the step in the post above me.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
how do i know what the native resolution is? even when i put regular windows wallpapers up (such as the red sand wallpaper) they look grainy.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If it is only your desktop that is grainy then it is because the image is being stetched to fit your entire monitor. Try to find higher resolution wallpapers. Typically (not always) your native resolution is the maximum you can set it.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
it's actually like that on all high res pics, i was just trying to give you guys an idea by mentioning a well known general windows image. sorry for any confusion!

it even blurs small thumbnails such as the pictures of friends that show up in messages.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
any suggestions? :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is this monitor hooked up with a VGA or DVI connector?

Is the monitor widescreen? 1024x768 is a standard 4:3 aspect ratio and will not look right on a widescreen monitor.

Can you post some screen shots?

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i will post some screenshots when i get a chance to get on my desktop. how do i check to see if it's vga or a dvi connector? let me know what to look for please.

and no, it is not a widescreen monitor.

i watched some special features from a dvd on it last night and the picture came up very clear, if that helps.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You can see what the different connectors look like here:

Posted Image

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm guessing you could try a bunch of different drivers for your video card, I've had this problem before. Using an ATI card, when I had Catalyst 7.4, everything was fine, then I upgraded, and it was just wonky for a while, and then 7.7 on fixed it again...

So try updating (or down-dating) your drivers and see if that helps.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
it is definitely a vga connection, i will try to get updated/downdated tomorrow when i have some free time. i am on a very unreliable connection so it might take some time to deal with the drivers. thanks guys!