Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My sound gone haywired!

• Please log in to reply

splinter500

splinter500

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi fellow people,

I come back with another problem :) . Here is the basic problem... There is absolutely no sound. When I play a file with my window media player, it plays but with no sound. But of course there is nothing wrong. I bought a new sound card to make sure and updated with the lasted driver and codec. Even after that, my window media player say now there is a problem with my sound device. There is no problems on the hardware list too. This had me stump. So i decided to format! Argg... what a timewaster indeed. It did not solve anything. So guys, help me :] I would really like to have sound and hear music blasting from my speakers. Oh yeah, i bought another set of speakers to make sure my old speaker is working ok, still didn't do a thing. I check bios also, it has no confoguration relating to sound also :/

Advertisements

sunmash

sunmash

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Is the speaker plug connected to the correct sound port?

splinter500

splinter500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Of course. Thanks for the fast reply :]

sunmash

sunmash

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Is this onboard sound or a dedicated sound card i.e. PCI-based sound card?

splinter500

splinter500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Both onboard sound and pci sound. Tried both but still do not work.

sunmash

sunmash

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Interesting... you have both onboard sound and a PCI sound card. Do you intend on using both at the same time? If not, then which do you prefer to use primarily? The onboard sound of the PCI sound card? It's up to you, but I usually have my onboard sound disabled (you would do that in the BIOS) and keep my PCI sound card active.

Have you checked to see if the latest audio drivers are installed for both the onboard sound and the PCI sound card?

What are the make and model of the audio devices (the onboard sound and the PCI sound card)?

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I just lost use of my headphones...they seem to work in 2 other lap tops....they were working in my computer the night before last...then yesterday when I logged in...nada....the speakers work ...but I prefer phones. Any ideas.

I have an integrated card as well as the SB I put in....I disabled the integrated card in bios to get the SB working...

splinter500

splinter500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
How do I check the on board sound model?
The pci is : PPA Int'l (Parts, Peripherals & Accessories)
4 channel pci 3d interace card. Doesnt have modle but have Item #: 1417

I prefer pci :]

Edited by splinter500, 09 October 2007 - 05:13 PM.

splinter500

splinter500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
*Bumb* Have not been reply in three days

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Then use the waiting room, link in my signature. A staff member will help you shortly.

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
ummm...What do you mean how do you check your onboard? Is it enabled/disabled in bios?

splinter500

splinter500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
There is no option that is relating to sound on the bios

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I do believe that some BIOSes refer to it as the "South Bridge", so see if you can find any information about that.

splinter500

splinter500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok thxs for the reply.
Let me see if it works :)

splinter500

splinter500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
There is nothing related to that in my bios. The computer is a shuttle computer. The small box one :)