Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer not detecing printer!

• Please log in to reply

stipower

stipower

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
There a way i can figure out where each of the "COM PORTS" corresponds to a each specific usb plugin on my computer? My printer keeps saying failed documents and wont print!!!! before it would always print donno whats wrong

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Stipower,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your printer drivers?
I find this fixes a lot of communication problems.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Stipower,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your printer drivers?
I find this fixes a lot of communication problems.

how do i uninstall them? Sorry :) im not very good with computers, thanks for the help!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi stipower! Printers do like to do this sometimes, I find right before I have a deadline that I have to uninstall/reinstall :)

First of all, make sure your printer is turned off. Disconnect it from your computer. Next, open the Add/Remove Programs applet from the Control Panel, and uninstall any programs that have your printer make name in the list. Last, open the Printers and Faxes applet from Control Panel, right-click your printer and select Delete. You should then restart your computer and have no printer.

Next you need to reinstall your software. You can use your original CD that came with the printer to do this, but while we're at it, we'll update to the latest drivers. Navigate your web browser to the manufacturer's webpage, and find your printer under the support page. Look for a "Downloads" or "Driver Update" section, and download the latest drivers for your Operating System (i.e. Media Center Edition).

Then once you've downloaded the program, install it. It will probably start installing and then give you a page where it says "Connect your printer and turn the printer on now", so just follow those instructions and everything should be sweet.

Any further problems, give us a yell. :)

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i got the hp laser jet 2200d i went to the hp site and they didnt have media center edition so i chose xp... i got to this site:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=ca&prodNameId=28862&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=28861&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228#1130

but theres drivers should i download all 9?

Thanks for all the help!!!! i hope im not asking dumb questions sorry =(

Edited by stipower, 09 October 2007 - 10:07 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm not too sure, that page is ridiculous! My printer just has one file to download, and it does everything for me. In fact, every printer I've ever owned has done that! Have a look at the Universal Drivers section - see how it has "PCL 5" and "PCL 6" - do you know which one yours is? I'm guessing just one of those should do the trick. Then once you get it working, make sure you get the HP Printer Check Tool.

And don't forget, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask! Please keep asking until we've got it sorted for you :)

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
YES IT WORKED! OMG THANK U SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!! *TEARS OF JOY*

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:) Thanks for letting us know!

P.S. Which one was it?

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
it was pcl6 cause the site wouldnt let me dl pcl5 haha! thanks FPVDriF6 !!