Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast Home Edition over AVG Free?

• Please log in to reply

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
i have been using avg free anti virus for quite some time now. And recently i heard that Avast was way better than AVG. I downloaded it and started using it and i am really impressed! It detected 2 viruses on my computer AVG did not detect. But i want to get you guys' point of view since i heard also that some anti virus programs will fake viruses just to impress the user into using them. So is Avast better than AVG???

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
No one program can keep its virus database up to date on every virus. It is always better to use more then one program. Since AVG and Avast are available free, I would not rate one better then the other. You might also look into using ClamWin which is also free. I use and run all three as well as the usual lot of free malware programs like AdAware 2007 and Spybot Search & Destroy. Other ones I use are Windows Defender, RootKiller, AVG Anti Rootkit (free) and Rogue Remover. Probably overkill, but I don't have any problems with viruses. An occasional online free scan at TrendMicro or McAfee rounds out the fight against malware.

Ron

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Woah! U got a lot of stuff on your computer. I only got Avast HE, CCleaner and Ad-Aware!!! Thanks for your advice ron...the more the safer!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Please be careful that you set everything up right. It's not necessarily "the more the better", if you just install all three to defaults then they will conflict. You need to set it up so that only ONE has real-time scanning enabled.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Please be careful that you set everything up right. It's not necessarily "the more the better", if you just install all three to defaults then they will conflict. You need to set it up so that only ONE has real-time scanning enabled.

Sorry, but there is no conflicts from defaults as they have no particular schedule that runs except for the Test run in AVG. Not all even have to be scheduled to run unless you want to go through and schedule each one on different days of the week to cover different folders/files. I run both Ad-Aware and Spybot at the same time. The anti-virus programs run at same time occasionally, but not checking the same folder/files, etc.. The more the better is better if you have the right tools and know how to use them.

Ron

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
As a malware helper, I'd like to jump in here. It is not our policy to advise people to have multiple anti-virus programs running on the computer. IF you configure them, as already was pointed out, so that real time protection is not enabled in both, and the secondary one is just used for scans, then you may not have conflicts. However, I have seen many users complain of slow computers and conflicts with other applications when they have multiple anti-virus programs installed. In those circumstances, there is no benefit, and you may be more vulnerable due to the program conflicts.

Spoon007, Major Payne is correct in stating that not all AV programs will catch all viruses all the time. Some are better than others, but will cost money. I have used both Avast and AVG Free, and both do a pretty decent job. Make sure whichever one you use is configured for automatic updates. The occasional online scan is also a good idea. In terms of overall protection, remember that no one program will do it all. You need a good antispyware program as well, one that offers real time protection and has on-demand scanning. Keep your programs and operating system current, with all patches and updates installed - that will help protect you from vulnerabilities and exploits. Lastly, use common sense - don't open attachments on emails if you think they can't be trusted, don't click on links from unknown sources, etc.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:) Thank you sari for clearing that up. I was getting a little confused! I know that Anti-Spyware Programs are fine to run together, but Anti-Virus and Firewall = only one, right?

And spoon007 - haven't you seen The Matrix? There is no spoon... :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Like to double clear this up. I was not advocating running more then one anti-virus program unless you are having each one scanning different files/folders. You will have conflicts if both are scanning same files/folders if by per chance (likely) that both hit the same file.

There is no problem having more then one anti-virus program on your PC and I advise you to have as many GOOD ones as possible in addition to the periodic online scans. You have two options under this scenario: Set Options for you to control when they scan your files/folders or set Options to set schedules during the day/week or month to run non-conflicting scans. Even I don't have mine set to run same files/folders at the same time, but they are scheduled to each do the same files/folders at different times.

I would not even recommend you run the anti-malware tools at same time unless you know how to get them started so they do not conflict.

Definitely only one firewall needs to be running.

I would be a malware helper, too, but just do not have the time to spend in that section of this forum.

Ron

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

There is no problem having more then one anti-virus program on your PC

Correct provide they are both not providing real time protection to use one simply as a scanner is fine

Set Options for you to control when they scan your files/folders or set Options to set schedules during the day/week or month to run non-conflicting scans

I m having a hard time understanding the logic behind this seems like a lot of work where you could run an online scan or 2 to double check on things

No one is doubting your ability Ron I think its just slightly confusing the point your trying to get across as I said the logic of it just doesn't make sense

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Simply put: ONE A/v that is active. You can NOT have more than one that is running in the background. If you choose to have another as an "on demand" scanner, that is fine. However, make SURE it is turned off, and set to NOT start up when Windows starts. Only allow one to start and stay running.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks Kat. At least someone read and understood!

Ron

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
Anti-Virus programs take up an enormous amount of your computer's resources when they are actively scanning your computer. Having two anti-virus programs running at the same time can cause your computer to run very slow, become unstable and even, in rare cases, crash.

If you choose to install more than one Anti-Virus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

There are basically two types of these programs:
On-Access and On-Demand

On-Access Scanners
As the name implies, are scanners that run in the background all the time the PC is turned on and running. The main function of an On-Access scanner is to monitor activity on your machine.

On-Demand Scanners
As the name implies, are scanners that only run when you ask them to.
Such as:
Online Scans and scanners that run on your machine but are not actively scanning your machine.

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
my god so much information in so little time!!!! thanks for all the advice...but FPVDriF6...Sadly there is a spoon!!! and he is a secret agent too! (007)

just wanted to say Avast does all that what you'll mentioned.

1. It has an always-on scan, online scan, and special firewall, and scans everything i do (like copying,pasting,opening a document) etc etc
2. Updates Automatically

Thanks for all the info Ron, Sari and FPVDriF6. :)

my god...u guys surely know a lot of stuff about viruses and anti-viruses!!! :)

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
forgot to mention- thanks rstones! i now know im using an on-access scanner!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It seemed like we were beating a dead horse after awhile, but there's some good info you can strain out of all the other stuff posted here. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it.

Ron
Semper Fidelis