Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MISSING DIALOG BOXES

• Please log in to reply

Mommosan

Mommosan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
;) I NEED A BRILLIANT COMPUTER GEEK or GURU to tell me what happened, what is wrong, and how I can resolve my problem. :tazz:

I no longer get 'progress' boxes in programs (i.e., opening ZIP files, opening some shortcuts or applications, etc.)

For instance, when I double-click on a zipped file, I don't get the dialog box with the option to 'extract,' etc. I just the stupid little nasty bar (see attachment). If I hit return, sometimes it functions automatically, but mostly it asks that I make a selection... but I still can't 'see' anything.

I've included a jpg of the STUPID LITTLE 'NASTY BAR.' (The attached jpg shows the progress of reading a DVD; previously I could actually view the movie during the process.)

This could have happened following the installation of 'clipboard buddy,' or after trying to clear references to it from the registry.

I (may have) screwed up.

Attached Thumbnails

• NastyBar.jpg

Edited by Mommosan, 16 April 2005 - 10:00 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, that's new....

This occurs only in Program dialogue boxes?

What about MY COMPUTER, Control Panel, etc

What I would like to see is if you can Create a new user profile in COntrol Panel > Users.

Reboot Log into the new account....

Does the problem recur?

Mommosan

Mommosan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you soooooooooo much, Gerry. Since I set up a new user account, it works fine.

Now, does that mean I have to set up my shortcuts all over again? And add things to my 'Start,' etc.?

Please advise. You can send me an email if you like at [email protected].

Gerry, I can't tell you how thrilled I am that your suggestion made Nasty Bar go away!

p.s. Since it's been determined that the user account ias what was screwed up, is it possible to 'clean up' they old user account? I just thought I'd ask before I go through the whole muckle of setting up the new user account.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, very possible.

The above was just the first step to determine where the problem was coming from.

We can spend a lot of time trying to resolve this, but this is a weird little trick that works on problems like this sometimes

In the new profile,

start > run, type
regedit

in the registry editor, right click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER and choos EXPORT.

A dialogue box will appear...save this as CU to the root of your harddrive (c:\)

now, restart your computer , and log back in to your original account in safe mode (tap f8.)

Double click MY COMPUTER, choose LOCAL DRIVE, find CU.reg, double click it.

Windows will ask you if it is OK to merge this into the registry, say yes. Windows will complain that it could not update some keys because they were in use, that's ok

Now, reboot, and log into old account normally.

The problem should be fixed. if not post back

Mommosan

Mommosan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
P.S. I followed (half of) your instructions Gerry, but I could not reboot into Safe Mode. Tried four times. So I never got to click on My Computer, Local... etc., and double-click on CU... or the rest of it.

At this point, would it actually be UNsafe to finish your directions in regular mode?

Don't know if this makes a difference but, I have a home network... two computers, one monitor, keyboard & mouse (using a KVM switch). Could this be the reason I can't reboot into Safe Mode?

Thanks again for all your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why couldn't you boot into safe mode?

Mommosan

Mommosan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dunno... I restarted my PC, and at the sign-on screen, clicked on the original icon, tapping F8, and the computer started up as usual, with all the programs that usually start up in regular mode.

??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
tap the f8 key while the memory is counting up....before windows starts to load....and make sure your keyboard, if it has a F-lock key, is locked, otherwise the function keys do not work.

Mommosan

Mommosan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, Gerry, the good news is, I was able to start in Safe Mode. The bad news is, after a string of driver names and locations on the monitor, I got the "Blue Screen of Death." Oh yeah. Just what I needed, right? Tried it three times. I was always able to start up normally following that.

I copied the following info from the blue screen:

Beginning of BSofD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

End of BSofD:
STOP: 0x0000000A (0xF8A57354, 0x000000ff, 0x00000001, 0x804E5619

Don't know if that helps.

In that case, would it be possible for me to simulate 'Safe Mode' by closing every program that starts automatically, e.g., email, Roboform, Secretmaker, etc. once I'm up and running?

I await your response, O Master of Muddles. :tazz:

Mommosan

Mommosan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can log on in Safe Mode, but it turns into the 'Blue Screen of Death.'

Would it have the same effect as 'Safe Mode' if I just closed every program that starts up automatically, e.g., email, Roboform, Secretmaker, etc., and THEN follow your instructions for merging one user profile into the other?

Thank you for your response, Gerry.

Mommosan

Mommosan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have not heard from you for a while, Gerry, and I really need to clear this issue up. Would you take a moment to help me resolve it?

Since I can't start in safe mode without getting the 'blue screen of death,' can I just close all applications and follow your directions in order to export info from the registry editor so that I can copy settings from my new profile (which works) to my original profile (which doesn't work)?

Thank you so much for your solution.