Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot view hidden files, icons messed up

• Please log in to reply

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Me again..... :)

OK, I recently cleaned up my PC a bit, put all my images and such on DVD and deleted from the hard-drive. Everything still works fine, except I had one file which i couldn't delete. It was a DLL file in the folder of a program (CopyToDVD) i had previously uninstalled. (Apparently the dll for CopyToCD, which i never had on my pc). I kept getting the message that i couldn't delete because it's being used by another program. I checked all my processes and couldn't find anything related to the specific .dll. So I moved it to the desktop and deleted it from there (which worked).

Now I don't know if this is related, but suddenly when i open a folder, all my icons are shown as thumbnails (not as tiles as i had set them) and I also can't view my hidden or system files? When i click the option in Folder options, it appears to do something, but when i close the window nothing shows and when i open it again it's simply set back to the default settings? Help!

Edited by BlackHalo, 09 October 2007 - 10:35 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
do you have a restore point that you could go back to?

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Only to a few days ago. Pretty sure the problem started before that, i just haven't noticed it until i tried viewing the hidden files....

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Well you could have a corrupted profile. Do you have another profile that you could login as?

If not then I would recommend running an xp repair. You can view our guide: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Nope, only the administrator profile. Oooookay...this leaves me with another problem. Windows XP came pre-installed on my machine, I never got the actual CD (not so much as a booklet it seems, just checked the box now).

Edited by BlackHalo, 10 October 2007 - 01:00 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
well you either need to contact the manufacture and ask for the cd or you can borrow one.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Already contacted them, found out there is a recovery CD in the package (not exactly Windows per say, but the manufacturer says it will restore my PC to the state it was in when i received it a year ago.). I'll check and see if I can do an xp repair from it though. Will get back to you.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Ok, I've checked that CD. It's not a Windows XP CD per say. All it does when i insert it is it gives me two options: 1) to basically restore the PC to the state it was in when i bought it (hence removing EVERYTHING I've got on the PC and reinstalling the factory software) or 2) the Professional guide which then installs all the installed programs onto a different partition so that i can reinstall windows on the current one (which i think is fairly senseless.....). I'm considering just backing up the few programs i haven't done so far (such as Intervideo and small programs like that), and then just clean installing everything. Luckily i have my bigger programs (such as photoshop and Corel Painter) already backed up on disk, so that wouldn't be an issue.....

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You could always take your hard drive out and put it in another computer as a slave, then copy all the data off you want to keep, then put it back in your machine to do the rebuild.

Just a thought so you dont lose anything you needed.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Heh, that is WAY too much effort for my liking. I don't have much on here that i can't afford losing. Only 5gb of music and all my design and university projects that are really necessities, all the other things (PSCS3, Painter, CorelDraw, InDesign, Freehand MX and Microsoft Office) are already backed up on disk, so it's not a huge loss. Can just write the music and my design projects to dvd and then it's just a case of downloading winamp and intervideo and all that again after the format+clean install. Thanks though. :)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No problem, let us know how it goes.