Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes during start up

• Please log in to reply

TGK

TGK

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Sony Vaio VGC-RB43 with windows XP installed

When restart or turn off my computer and go to turn it back on, it freezes up at the desktop before it loads up any programs, this happens every single time, I can't shut my computer off anymore because it won't start up properly, however, I can start it in safe mode just fine, which is how I get to the recovery commander to restore it to a checkpoint, any checkpoint works, even if I make the checkpoint and then use it. At first I thought this was a software problem but even when I restore my computer back to factory default, orignial software and operating system, if I restart it it does the same exact thing, please help, this is so irratating!! :)

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Can you perhaps give us a bit more info? Did you format the harddrive and try re-install windows? Installed any new software recently that might have caused this?

TGK

TGK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did not format the entire harddrive but I did reformat the partition that windows xp was installed in, and I did a clean install. And no I haven't installed any software recently that might have caused this, plus, this has been happening for a long time so I'm not sure exactly when it started. But I do know that no software is currently causing it since even when the computer has been restored it does the same thing.