Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why Local Area Connection wasn't there?

• Please log in to reply

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I got a problem before about the built-in LANcard. After installing the OS and look up for the Local Area Connection in the My Network Places, I noticed that there's no Local Area Connection. After installing the driver, luckily the Local Area Connection was there.

So my question is:
Why from other computers after installing the OS the Local Area Connection is there then however in my computer the Local Area Connection only appeared after I installed the driver?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Probably because Windows knew what to do with it on the other computers whereas it didn't know what to do with it on yours.
When you install Windows it doesn't know everything about every bit of hardware out there, XP is six years old now, a lot of hardware has since come out. You have to fill the gaps in with the drivers.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G shengton

Just to expand on Neils reply a bit....
Bascially just about every hardware device requires a driver. Windows has a built-in database of drivers for all different types of hardware so when it detects a new device (a network card in this case), if a suitable driver already exists in the database then Windows will just install it itself without asking you to provide a driver for it. Once the network card driver is installed, then XP will normally create a local area connection for it. If however, Windows doesn't have a suitable driver in the database (as was obviously the case with your computer) then it ask the user to provide a driver for it.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Wow thanks guys!

Where the database of drivers are located sir?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well it entirely depends, usually the cd when you buy the component. There are driver databases, but your best bet is to navigate to the manufacturer's webpage and download them from the Support section.

For example, I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Graphics card. A quick Google search for "ATI Radeon 9600 drivers" reveals the correct page as the very top (first) result. Sometimes some components are difficult to find, hence the driver database websites, like http://www.driverguide.com/

If you can't find it, just post a thread here and we'll help you find it :)

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I mean the folder of database driver of Windows, where's the database drivers located?

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Where the database drivers located in the Windows XP installer sir?

Can you name the folder where the drivers are located and also the path?

Thanks!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Wow thanks guys!

Where the database of drivers are located sir?

If you're referring to Window's own driver 'database', then this located in the C:\WINDOWS\INF folder. NB The inf folder is hidden so unless you have Explorer configured to show hidden files/folders, you won't be able to see it.