Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot reboot from DVDs

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi. Im writing this from a loan laptop. I have a HP pavillion 6000 just a year old. It didnt have any disks with it, so I made 3 DVD recovery disks. About 6 months ago I reformatted the hard drive, and rebooted from the disks, and all went well.

Then the network card failed and I had to send it back to HP in Wales. The replaced it, possibly put in a new motherboard ( I think) and all was well again.

recently I bought a new larger hard drive, and asked my nephew (who works in the shop where I bought it) to install it. It wont reboot and he got this message:

The PC recovery disks do not support this PC Model.

He took the hard disk back and indeed it was faulty. So tonight he arrived armed with TWO new hard disks! But we get the same message again.

What can have happened? When HP did the repair could they have changed something...???

help!

h

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most likely HP have changed something internally so the recovery CD no longer recognises it as a valid machine.
You'll have to contact HP directly, or obtain a Windows CD for your version of Windows and reinstall Windows yourself. This way of course you will only have the Windows and not everything else that was pre-installed.

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I thought as much! Oh well, I got my nephew to simply install Windows from a CD. Yes ive lost media centre but never used it anyway.
Though there was some nice music included with it.

Lost a few other things as well but nothing I used much.

h