Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot DL XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

dans1

dans1

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
STORY:

About a week ago my friend's boyfriend was experiencing problems with his laptop, mainly that it would go to the BSOD and reboot after about 2 min of use. She took his comp to best buy and they basically told her that they don't know what the problem is (hardware or software) but they'd reinstall windows for about $80 if she provided the CD. I told her that was a waste of cash and that I'd do it for her but there were a few problems. Long story short I narrowed it down to a software

PROBLEMS:
So, it turns out her boyfriend lost ALL of the CDs that came with his computer, including his XP home CD but luckily his windows activation key was on a sticker under his laptop. Anyway, I reformatted and reinstalled XP on his comp using my XP home CD and when I entered his key to activate it, it said that it was incorrect. I called MS to sort out the problem and gave them the code which appeared after activation failed. Without asking any questions regarding the key (odd?), the rep claimed to have activated it and gave me another key to input. At that point I thought everything was ok. Recently he tried to download and install SP2 but the installer stalls when its searching for his key....so what's the deal? Why can't he get his updates? Is there anyway to make sure that his version of XP is using the correct key???

Any suggestions or help much appreciated.
-Danny

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Your problems may be related to this topic:

http://www.geekstogo...fi-t172564.html

Possible fix(es) here:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Microsoft-Updates-t172021.html

Windows XP Crashed?

Ron

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you for the quick reply, I'll give some of the fixes a try. Thanks again.

-Danny