Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New PC Just built - overheating and crashing.

• Please log in to reply

Fyrex

Fyrex

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright I just bought a new computer from parts, I spent a lot on it and it was made to be a gaming machine.
I've been playing on it since I got it and I was running Team Fortress 2, and it froze. I turned off my computer and restarted it and it wouldnt start up, so I turned it off for a minute or two, and it started up. I tried another game and had the same issue, I looked in the bios a few minutes after the crash, and the CPU temp was at 50 Degrees Celcius.
Specs--
Thermaltake Armor large case (plenty of ventilation, one large front intake fan, two rear fans)
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz CPU (Stock heatsink) I'd like other ideas before someone tells me to buy a new heatsink ;]
EVGA nforce 680i sli mobo
EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB graphics card
2x 1 Gig Corsair 1066 MHz RAM

I don't know whats making the CPU overheat, there seems to be a lot a ventilation.. the room is fairly cool and the air the fans are pushing out doesent seem to be hot. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks =]

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is this your first build? Did you appy your own thermal paste or did you use what was already on the stock heatsink? Have you check to make sure that the heatsink is firmly locked in to place?

Fyrex

Fyrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I used what was already on the heatsink, and yeah it's securely on.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Alright enter your BIOS and make sure the your RAM voltage is set on 2.1v. In the case that it is follow the steps below to test your memory:

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible