Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Issues with Chkdsk and disk defrag..

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Using windows XP pro: After a fair while of forgetting to defrag my hard drive - i decided to just set it up and let it get going on my main partition - 30Gb in size - it was incapable as it was blocked by Chkdsk trying to run on that hard drive. I tried to run the chkdsk utility under chkdsk /f and it didn't work - i've tried all possible ways of chkdsk - it works under chkdsk /i but no others - chkdsk /r to schedule fails during the boot - Windows cannot open the volume for direct access and then says it's finished. Chkdsk /i reports several errors in system files, but cannot fix them without running chkdsk /f. As a VAIO user, the computer did not come with recovery disks but a 10Gb recovery partition - which wipes the computer and resets. The last time I tried to use it - it was corrupt and wiped my computer before telling me so - so no recovery disks. Finally, scanning using sfc in command prompt results in various issues in system files - i have replaced a few with my own - such as icon images etc. - but have lost the backups. I do reckon that I could get ahold of a XP SP2 disc if required, but my main point of concern is no defrag is possible until chkdks is run, and it can't run until windows can access the drive - which it can't. I have looked over the rest of the forum several times and followed various procedures, and they don't work at all for my computer. Anyone got any ideas?

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AJPod...

Download RC.ISO and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.

Boot the machine to the rc.iso disk. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start Recovery Console. Select the operating system to be repaired, then type the Admin password if you set one (leave it blank and press "Enter" if you haven't set one), and it should load to a command prompt.

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". This should start the full chkdsk operation. (the /f switch is implied when you use the /r switch)

Let this finish...when you are back to the prompt, type exit and press "Enter". The machine should restart and boot to windows. Try the defrag.