Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AutoRestore partition

• Please log in to reply

tgeek

tgeek

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a computer winXP installed with three partitions which third is hidden. This comp is used with everyone for internet and joy. I want just restore system (C and D partitions) it automatical once a day with no work with it. How to do it?
Other way I did it manual with Ghost image on third hidden partition and restoring when needed, but it is waste of time so I want do it auto. Help me please.

Edited by tgeek, 10 October 2007 - 04:53 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If its a waste of time doing it manually, how's it going to save any time if it was automated?

A more practical solution would be to do a manual restore less frequently, say, once a week, fortnightly or monthly. You seriously do not need to go through this every day, you may as well slap a decent antivirus/internet security software package on it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
You can accomplish this several ways. One, you can use a program called Deep Freeze.
http://www.faronics..../deepfreeze.asp

Since you want this done on a daily basis, this will probably fit the bill.

The other option is to use Norton ghost. I haven't done this on 6 years. I had a training room setup to reimage. All you had to do was reboot the pc, choose the menu prompt and it would ghost from the hidden partition. Bit of a pain to update the image, but not to bad. WOrked great. It's a much better option for daily/montly routine and not daily.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could also use VMWare...which is free (at least VMWare server is) and VMWare converter (also free) to make a virtual "image" of your system....then when people want to use the computer...they just run the VM image...if they mess it up or get a virus or something....just turn off the VM without saving the changes and blam...the system is back to normal

tgeek

tgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What about:

Auto-restore After Reboot is what ShadowUser does.
By putting the system into ShadowMode, the original system state is preserved. If you reboot without committing changes, then the system will revert to the preserved state.
To further clarify, when running in ShadowMode, all changes are actually written to the ShadowMode cache which is on the free space on the volume. So a restore doesn't copy any information back to the volume, it just uses the original volume information that never changed.

I do not understand this well but... it was the last answer of one topic years ago.