Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External HD Case smelling like burning wires

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
My old external hard drive's power supply died so I had to buy a new case to put both hard drives in. I set everything up and when i turned it on it smelled like rubber buring or a wire burning .. What am i Doing wrong, is there a tip like don't have wires crossing inside or something. Im very confused ?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does your computer "see" the external drive...can you read or write to it...

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
i havnt let it stay on that long becuz i shut it off.. i dont want this thing catching fire

the led power light flashes on than off

This is the case im using

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817193032

Im going to return it because after reading reviews, people have lost all there data when they had it on anyway. I don't want to lose all my data, I have all my iTunes on there, school work, a couple of movies and pictures

I have two hard drives that i want to put into an external case.

Edited by Charliee03, 10 October 2007 - 10:31 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
unplug it...open it up...look for any melting wire insulation or arcing marks inside the case...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just a thought, are you trying to run two hard drives on a caddy that's only designed for one drive?
They don't like this and this could be the cause of your burning - the overloading of the power unit because its not designed to provide that much power.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ive gotten one of the hard drives to load on a different case, the case im using only supports 1 hard drive, I'm trying to find a place to buy an external enclosure with 2 hard drives that are compatiable up to 1TB

because I had bought it as a tb but the power supply died out in the case, so both 500GIG Hard Drives have allready been formatted together as a TB

I just don't see a website or anywhere I can buy a case (Without RAID included)