Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Center

• Please log in to reply

robtrout

robtrout

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows update caused my computer to fail to startupin normal mode. I run MS outlook business contact manager and it looks as though there was an update for this program. Either way have tried a restore to prior date several times going back a month and even more. Keep getting to the same boot screen where all I can select is options on safe mode and last working mode.
Would like to do self repair. Have the restore disc from Gateway for the Media Center operating system but it only allows complete wipe and fresh install. Need help on where to go from here. One of the forum posts led me to try run msconfig and disable a whole bunch of services. Have tried these options to isolate a service but even with every service disabled still have the same boot options. System did not boot on its own.
Email works internet access works but cannot print or remove programs.
Any help appreciated. By the way I run Norton Antivirus and it was also doing an update prior to the whole problem.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi robtrout and welcome to G2G!

First of all please turn off auto restart on error as this might give us a blue screen to work with.

Right click my computer > click properties > click advanced > click settings under startup and recovery > untick automatically restart on error > click ok > click apply and restart your PC.

If the PC blue screens note down the information and paste it with your next post.