Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Background display all blue

• Please log in to reply

Inkwood

Inkwood

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After looking up interest rates on Explorer I recieved a pop up with a warning flag, called ( Fidelity Overseas ). I did not run it and could not delete it. I went to the Search program and found it in my files as ( xpupdate.exe ) it was in an application file. I deleted there but i background screen then came up all blue, I had all the desktop icons only the background picture seems to be behind the blue screen as I can see it when I shut computer off. I have tried to re-enter the picture in my Display file but the background portion does not work. The screen saver seems to be OK. I have done several Virus scans and deleted all posible threats. That did not bring back my picture on the background. I tried to the system restore and that also does not seem to operate. Everything else seems to run Ok on the computer. Can anyone tell me how to fix this, much appreciated - Thanks, Inkwood

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
undelete xpupdate.exe and put it were it used to be. Is your background fixed now? if so, run an AV scan. if not then also run an AV scan. please post back.

-OCM770-

theflash

theflash

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hopefully you've been able to fix this. I had the same problem (background was black and system ran very slow) but it seemed to be tied to SpyShredder. Norton Internet Security picked up and removed SpyShredder. Once SpyShredder was removed my background returned, access to changing my background was restored, and the system returned to running at normal speed. However, xpupdate.exe continued to try to run at startup. I found the xpupdate.exe application in my windows directory. After removing SpyShredder I was able to delete xpupdate.exe without any issues Hope this helps and good luck.