Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help Getting a new Video Card

• Please log in to reply

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I recently decided to upgrade my video card and have been doing some background research.
I liked the GeForce 7 series but found out they needed a PCIe interface to work, which I don't have. My computer has 3 PCI slots and an AGP slot now. I'd like to get something with at least
128 MB of memory. Any suggestions on a good card would be helpful or if there is someway to add PCIe ports to your computer that would be helpful to know too.

(Not sure if this is the right category.)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
How much are you willing to spend?
Just to let you know, AGP is a dying format and I would be surprised if more cards are released with it, by investing into a dead technology you will not be able to use this card should you plan to upgrade other components on your compuetr such as your motherboard or CPU (assuming you'd need a new mobo to do so).
What games are you wishing to play?
James

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I'd be willing to spend $100. I know that sounds low but I've found some really good video cards on Techbargains. As for games, I'd like to be able to play Battlefront II and the like.
If AGP is dying out do I have to buy a new motherboard to get PCI express or is there some way to add it?

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
You will have to purchase a new motherboard in order to have a PCIe slot :)

All of today's motherboards have it in standard.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
It is recommended that you get a new motherboard with a PCI-E slot but if you do not want to upgrade you could get a good AGP card that will run Battlefront II. If you go with AGP then I recommend the Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3) AGP or the GeForce 7600 GS AGP.

GeForce 7600 GS AGP: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130076

Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3) AGP: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102057

Edited by jackflash1991, 10 October 2007 - 07:06 PM.

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Thanks for the info. Is there a big difference between the two video cards. I don't have enough spending money to buy a new motherboard.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
The Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3) AGP beats the GeForce 7600 GS AGP by a hair and is cheaper.

Edit: The only problem is that the only company that I can find that makes the Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3) AGP is SAPPHIRE and I don't know that much about that company.

Edited by jackflash1991, 10 October 2007 - 07:29 PM.

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
One more thing, how come those graphics cards have only two interface prongs? I though AGP were supposed to have three.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
The cards just do not need the 3 they only need 2. Most if not all newer APG cards are 2 prong.
More on the AGP interface:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGP

The prongs have to do with different voltages I believe.

Edited by jackflash1991, 10 October 2007 - 07:50 PM.

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
How can I tell whether or not my port supports 4x or 8x?

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well do you know what motherboard you have or the kind of computer you have. Example a Dell Dimension 1100 or something.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Does your AGP slot look like any of these?
http://www.hardwares...w.php?image=856

Edited by jackflash1991, 10 October 2007 - 08:06 PM.

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
My port looks like the 1.5 volt but isn't the 3.3 exactly the same picture, just flipped.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
If you are sure that it is 1.5V then you are ok.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Edit: The only problem is that the only company that I can find that makes the Radeon X1650 PRO (GDDR3) AGP is SAPPHIRE and I don't know that much about that company.

I have a Sapphire (Radeon 9550) and I'm happy with the build quality, they are a decent manufacturer. :)