Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Couple questions

• Please log in to reply

NField

NField

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi guys , im not too clever with computers and was wondering how to impove my FPS , what type of card do i need? Graphics Card? Video Card? :) my ping is fine but on games i think the FPS makes it lag and freezey a bit, Also off topic - Could you tell me any solutions on how to make YouTube load faster? It used to work great but recently it loads terribly. Thanks!

BTW i have no malware issues so that is not the problem.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Could you list your system specs. What is your budget for an upgrade?
James

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I hope this is what you want lol :) , Havent decided on a budget yet.
==System==

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition ( 5.1, Build 2600
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20 GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 503MB Used 743MB Available
DirectX Version: Directx 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904

==Display==

Name: SAPPHIRE RADEON X300SE
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip Type: RADEON X300/X550 Series (0x5B60)
Approx. Total Memory: 128.0 MB

Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6601

==Sound==

Name: Realtek HD Audio Rear Output

Edited by NField, 11 October 2007 - 10:20 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you know if you the AGP or PCIe interface.
First thing that comes to mind is your need for 1GB of ram and a new video card. However unless your PC wil support PCIe, it's hard to suggest an investment, as AGP is a dead technology.
James

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Do you know if you the AGP or PCIe interface.

How do i find out?

Also its a relatively new computer so im guessing it would support that ?

Edited by NField, 11 October 2007 - 04:21 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
New doesn't always matter when it comes to that.

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look for computer summary tab. Post what is shown under Motherboard Name.

Edited by Titan8990, 11 October 2007 - 07:15 PM.

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Motherboard Name - Asus P5GD1-FM (FSC OEM) (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)

Also can i buy any 1/2GB ram or are there compatibility issues and is it easy to put in the computer, lol Also is it possible to remove both my 512mb cards and put two 1gb ones in ? ( depending on price) Thanks.

Edited by NField, 12 October 2007 - 02:29 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
No, you can't use just any RAM. It needs to be DDR RAM and possibly has a speed limit. Open Everest back up again and inspect where it says RAM. It should list the speed directly after 512mb. Also you can go to Crucial and use their memory advisory tool. I don't recommend you buy anything from their site though.

Good news is that you have a PCI-Ex16 slot. Depending on your budget we can recommend a new video card for you but it will most likely need a new power unit to run it.

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
well i havent decided on a budget and i dont know how these things price so would be great if you could give me a few recomendations varying in price , for the RAM and the video card, Also where can i see the info about the RAM on Everest , i cant see it lol.
What do you mean by i would need a new power unit? Thanks.

Edited by NField, 12 October 2007 - 07:00 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Under the summary tab in Everst where you found your motherboard name. Under than should say "Motherboard Chipset" and below that should be "System Memory". Here is a line copied from my report:

System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

It tells me that the RAM in my computer is DDR2-667. That is the information that you need.

Standard power supplies usually aern't made to power mid to high range video cards. Usually an upgrade is needed when upgrading the video card. In order to check you current PSU spec you will need to open up the case. On the side of the unit (the box at the top of the case where the 110v cable plugs in) it should display your max wattage and you amperage per each voltage rail.

Report your max. wattage of your PSU as well as the amount of amp on the +12v rail.

Advertisements

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
is my one.

Is there any other way i could find out the PSU like ring up customer service or in the manual? im a little worried about opening the case and how to even do this,

when i looked on the back it said 200 - 240 v 50Hz dunno if that means anything

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
How do you plan on putting the upgrades in your computer? I suppose it is time to get your feet wet. Whenever you go in to check out your PSU you will not have to touch anything. All you have to do is read the label off the box at the top. Most of the time cases are opened via two thumb screws near the back. Usually just the side panel will come off but in older cases the entire out casing comes off. Either way it shouldn't be a problem.

Pop it open and have a look around. If you touch anything keep one hand on the chasis of your case. This grounds yourself and prevents ESD. Go ahead and look where your RAM slot and your video card will go. Get familiar with the inside of your system.

Report the information I asked for in my last post whenever you get a chance.

Edit: This will make a good and inexpensive memory upgrade: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820220063

Edited by Titan8990, 13 October 2007 - 12:46 PM.

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok , i have some information , im not sure i have the correct information so if not ill have another look . This is what iv got .

Input 220- 240v, 5A , 47 63Hz
350w Max
Total combines power on +5v +33v cant exceed 130w
Total combines power on +12v1 and 12v2 cant exceed 300w

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You will have to upgrade your PSU for any kind of decent video card. If you can come up with some kind of buget now we can recommend a PSU and a video card for an upgrade.

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
£250?
Dont know the price ranges for this kinda stuff so its a bit hard to give a budget :)

Edited by NField, 13 October 2007 - 06:05 PM.