Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

URGENT: HOW TO REINSTALL SOUND DRIVES?

• Please log in to reply

lizglass

lizglass

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hi fellow G2Gs!

I tried all the tricks in the troubleshooting books to make my microphone work again, but it is dead for the laptop. Not the mike (I tried several, and all work fine with my desktop), but I suspect that the sound drives are gone, corrupted, degraded, vanished... Or maybe it is the soundcard? or the port where I plug the mike?

Anyway, before sending the laptop to Dell for costly and lengthy repairs, I wanted to make sure that this is not some kind of software issue. Any ideas are very welcome!

Thanks,

lizglass

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Double check all the sound mixers.... the microphone maybe muted or turned way down.... depending on your setup there can be more than one program that manipulates that or some software will change your settings for their operation without telling you.... If the sound on the laptop works and there are no exclamation points in device manager then I'd say it's either the issue stated above or that the sound board plug isn't working correctly...

lizglass

lizglass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
HI!

Thanks for answering. The sound works, but not the mike. there is an exclamation point on device manager. What next?

liz

need taking care of

need taking care of

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
normally if there is you could maybe try uninstalling it and reinstalling it or... mic could be brocken... or try trouble shooting it in device manger.

Good luck with your sound =]

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
as said above if you do have a exclamation point in device manager you may want to uninstall and reinstall the driver.... or it could be a hard ware issue and then you'd need to get a new sound card...