Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Malfunctions!

• Please log in to reply

Squiggs

Squiggs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had a major malfunction of some sort last night. A box popped up saying that windows was shutting down in 60 seconds and I couldn't stop it. Reboots didn't help. So I booted it into safe mode, ran Spybot and Ad-Aware and that apparently got rid of whatever it was. BUT, now fast switching doesn't work, I have no audio device and Windows Installer doesn't seem to be working. System restore doesn't have any restore points either.and my network connections have vanished! I tried to fix the fast switching by going to 'services.msc' but that didn't help at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!.

Advertisements

Squiggs

Squiggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I go to sevices.msc, about 75% of everything listed is disabled and it won't let me start them. :)

Squiggs

Squiggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I go to device manager there's nothing there.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Squiggs and Welcome to Geekstogo,

You have a program(possibly unwanted program) that is shutting down your computer. The only way to stop it and have your computer run in normal mode is do the following:

Click on Start.
Click on Run.
Type in shutdown -a.(this will pause the shutdown process)

I would not recommend running your computer in normal mode unless it is necessary for diagnostic purposes.

We now need to make certain that this issue is not Malware because if we troubleshoot otherwise we may be wasting our time.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the Malware Expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).