Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secondary Hard Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Hey Geeks!

Never figured out my Nero problem but I come to you once again with a hard drive problem. When I FIRST got this computer, my hard drive was a measly 80 GB. Last Christmas, I got a brand new 250GB hard drive which is now set as my primary. However, Windows (XPPRO) is still installed on the other one and I can still boot it, but don't need it as I transferred all my stuff (pictures, movies, music, etc) to the newer 250 GB.

Now (yeah finally) I want to format the 80GB and use it as extra storage space along with my external (which is having issues but that will be a different post :) ). The problem is, when I right click the drive (C:/ [K:/ is the new one]) and choose Format, it gets to the end of the process and states "Windows was unable to complete the format."

When I go to Manage -> Storage (from right-clicking My Computer) the 80GB (C:) is set as System and the 250GB (K:) is set as boot. I'd really hate to hear that I have to wipe the slate and start over. Any suggestions or solutions?

-BP

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Uh you can't just format the c: as that is where windows is.... you would need to install windows onto another drive and then boot from that drive..... The ideal thing to do would be to install the main drive... ( either one.... personally I'd use the smaller as the primary ) install windows on it then use the second ( again I'd use the larger one ) as the storage drive... then you can keep all your data on the second drive and if you have a problem with windows you just wipe the first drive and reinstall without having to backup as everything is already on the second drive...