Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Install Serivce Pack 2!

• Please log in to reply

ivinator

ivinator

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

I tried installing service pack 2 before, but the installation didn't work and it completely screwed up windows. the computer couldnt boot properly, and i ended up reinstalling windows xp.
how can i install sp2 without this happening again??
i've already reached the maximum activations for my windows xp >.>

Thanks

Advertisements

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
I see that you have posted a Hijack This log, I am not a trained helper, so I can't help you with your log - someone will be with you as soon as they can. Until then please *do not* try installing Service Pack 2, installing it when you have malware on your computer makes the malware harder to remove. When a helper replies to your topic they will give you some advice on what to upgrade to. Until then, hang tight :).

Good luck,
~Matt

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
What PC do you have, especially the CPU and socket info?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The installation of sp2 can be very problematic when done on a loaded and used computer. When I install sp2 I do it immediately after a fresh installation of xp, before loading antivirus or anything else.

If This is impossible in your case then you have two options:

1: Not to install sp2. Leave it for another time when you clean install xp.

2: If you still want to install it run, before installation, a thorough scan with antimalware programs like Spybot, AVG Antispyware and your antivirus. Run Disk Cleaner and Defragmantation. Disable or exit all the programs that run in the background (those shown in the task bar near the clock), including the antivirus. Install sp2 and hope for the best.

crc

crc

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
If you have allready Re-installed the windows XP then , install the drivers of your mobo and cards and then go ahead and install the Sp2 pack , everytime i did that worked perfectly , but it depends sometimes , as adrenalin said , on the hardware you got installed too , plus when you tried to install the Sp2 on the first time was the system complete clean ?? I mean was it a clean install and then tried to install it or was a working machine and tried to upgrade to SP2 ???

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The installation of sp2 has got nothing to do with the hardware.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
The Skeptic,

it does, i had this problem.

-------------------------------------

<h1 class="title">Your computer stops responding when you restart to complete the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005</h1>View products that this article applies to.function loadTOCNode(){}Article ID:885626Last Review:August 23, 2007Revision:3.4
On This Page
Posted ImageSUMMARYPosted ImageSYMPTOMSPosted ImageCAUSEPosted ImageRESOLUTIONPosted ImageMethod 1Posted ImageMethod 2Posted ImageUpdate informationPosted ImageWORKAROUNDPosted ImageMethod 1: Use the Windows XP Recovery ConsolePosted ImageMethod 2: Start an alternative Windows installationPosted ImageMORE INFORMATION var sectionFilter = "type != 'notice' && type != 'securedata' && type != 'querywords'"; var tocArrow = "/library/images/support/kbgraphics/public/en-us/downarrow.gif"; var depthLimit = 10; var depth3Limit = 10; var depth4Limit = 5; var depth5Limit = 3; var tocEntryMinimum = 1; .toc{display: none;}<h2 class="subTitle" id="tocHeadRef">SUMMARY</h2>loadTOCNode(1, 'summary');This article describes how to resolve an issue where your computer stops responding (hangs) when you restart to complete the installation of Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005. This issue occurs on a limited number of systems that use a version of basic input/output system (BIOS) that does not have production support for Intel Pentium 4 and Intel Celeron D processors based on the Prescott C-0 stepping.Posted ImageBack to the top

<h2 class="subTitle" id="tocHeadRef">SYMPTOMS</h2>loadTOCNode(1, 'symptoms');When you try to restart your computer to complete the installation of Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, your computer stops responding (hangs).

You experience this issue when you select any one of the following options when you restart the computer:
•Normal•Last Known Good Configuration•Safe Mode•Safe Mode with Command PromptPosted ImageBack to the top

<h2 class="subTitle" id="tocHeadRef">CAUSE</h2>loadTOCNode(1, 'cause');This issue may occur if the following conditions are true:•Your computer uses an Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Celeron D processor that is based on Prescott C-0 processor stepping.•Your computer has a BIOS version that is out of specification.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It does not if you do it properly. Don't underestimate the size and complexity of sp-2. It's a very big collection of files and drivers that has to be weaved seamlessly into xp. The easiest and surest way to do this is to install sp2 before anything else. I never failed this way. I did, and I learned, not to do this on a loaded and used computer. I'll rather leave the computer without sp2.

There is a possibility, however, that if a part of the hardware is in marginal condition it will not work. The same is true for the installation of xp without sp2. I had my share of embarassment when computers which worked seemingly well failed permanently during xp installation.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Besides all of this, did this user ever get the PC working again?! i wonder...