Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crash?

• Please log in to reply

klockdoc

klockdoc

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Last night, my niece was turning the computer over to me. She closed out of the Internet window she was in and when I sat down, the screen immediately said "invalid synch" and the computer started a steady beep. I looked at the case and the hard drive light that generally blinks off and on when the drive is operating, was glowing a steady red.

I shut off the computer. Turned back on. Beat on the side a little to see if I could "jar" the drive loose, but, no luck.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thank you

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well what does it do now when you try to boot it up?

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
all it does when I try to reboot is beep. The red light stays on constantly. I tried to eliminate each item one at a time. I removed the memory one at a time and them replaced. I unhooked the pin plug and power to each of the items listed
CD RW drive
CD drive
Hard Drive C
Hard Drive D
A drive
Sound card
ethernet card
modem card
video card
mouse
key board
monitor
printer

Still does the same thing

Think it might be the power supply? and if so, how do I check to see if good or bad

Thanks

Edited by klockdoc, 11 October 2007 - 04:12 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How does it beep? Is it (for example) three beeps, pause, three beeps, pause, etc? One long beep is not a valid code, there should be more to it than that. Does it match anything printed here? http://www.amptron.c....beepcodes.html

Also what type (brand name and model) of board do you have? These are usually printed somewhere on the board itself.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I think it might match the bad CPU processor message. It is doing a beep like the police cars in London. Deee, dooo Deeee dooo. High low beeps.

These start immediately as soon as you turn it on.
The name on the board is AGP PII-3100

Edited by klockdoc, 11 October 2007 - 04:29 PM.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Could it also be the power supply? How do I test this.

The board is a Amtron PII-3100 motherboard. Where do I find a CPU replacement for this board?

Edited by klockdoc, 12 October 2007 - 08:19 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
This can be a sign of a CPU fan failure if its not spinning fast enough, for example if its clogged with dust.

Having said that, and having Googled the board, this is a Pentium II board. These have been out of commission for years, so your only source of replacement will be eBay and/or car boot sales.

But having said that, your board has an Award BIOS. Award BIOSes this old usually only beep for one reason only - graphics. Therefore your first resolution should be to replace the graphics card.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks Neil. Do you mean that there is a good possibility that the mother board is still good? I removed the graphics board, but, still had the same situation.

Does the computer have to have a good graphics board in it to not be beeping?

The fan was operating good on the CPU. Not running slow at all.

The graphics board was an SIS 6326 board. Does it have to be an exact duplicate? or can some other board work?

Thanks again

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
As long as its a card that fits in the slot and is keyed accordingly, it'll usually be happy with it. Your best bet is to take a trip to a computer shop where most of them have really old cards that they'll be happy to try in to find one that your computer likes.