Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ghost image restore problem

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Right, I have a Norton Ghost image (1 DVD and 1 CD). When I made the image, I was on the XP installation on the internal harddrive which only had one partition, that one (C:). Anyway, when I wanted to restore it, I resized the C Partition, and made a D partition, then restored the Ghost image to that one, hoping I could then restore the Ghost image back to the C partition, remove D and resize C. Anyway, when I restored it to the D drive, it wouldn't boot, only the XP installation on C would boot, so I removed C (stupidly) with my Ubuntu CD, and then rebooted, and it wouldn't load anything. So I rebooted Ubuntu, installed ntfs-config and made some changes to the boot.ini file.

I changed it to something like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
(2 because it was on the D partition, not C)

Anyway, it still wouldn't boot. So I just reformatted the whole drive, and this is the actual question.

If I boot up the XP disc, make an empty C parition and then install XP on the D partition, can I then restore my Ghost image to the C partition, and remove the D partition?

Oh, one more thing. The only external harddrive (kind of) I have, is my iPod Video (which is empty at the moment). If I format that and install XP on it, can I then restore the iPod firmware?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 11 October 2007 - 09:30 AM.

Advertisements

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Nvm. Installing to D and then restoring to C worked.

Mods lock please.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello supercalifraq,

Glad you got your problem fixed.