Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bugs in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates installed. I was wondering if anyone can verify (or has a solution to) the following two possible bugs in Windows:

1. Anytime I try to create a folder that should have a period as the last character in it's name, Windows will not save the period as the last character. This happens whether I create the folder in DOS or in Windows Explorer. It won't bring up an error message saying it's an invalid character; it just doesn't save the last perior. For example, I created a folder to hold MP3s for the Roger Water's album titled Radio K.A.O.S. from 1987. Whenever I type in the name "1987 Radio K.A.O.S." (without quotations), it only saves "1987 Radio K.A.O.S" (again, without quotations). No matter how many times I go back to edit it, the period, if it is the last character, is not saved.

2. In Windows Explorer, if I highlight and copy a portion of the path in the Address Bar, sometimes the entire path is copied. For example, I highlight the phrase "Tatoo You" in the following path in the Address Bar:

D:\Music\Rolling Stones\1981 Tattoo You

However, when I go to paste it, the entire path is pasted. This doesn't happen all the time; maybe 20% of the time. At first I thought I mistakenly copied the whole path without realizing it, but now I'm making it a point to verify I copied correctly, and then the problem still ocurrs.

Are these problems specific to my computer, or can someone else recreate them? And perhaps have a solution to them?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I don't have the solution but I tried #1 just now and I got the same result as you. For #2, I got the same result as you as well but at the time I did this (weeks ago) I thought I just made a mistake copying, didn't occur to me that it could be a bug.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
As for #1 I believe this is an intentional thing with XP. I think it has to do with the way that XP and the web is more integrated. In DNS structures the "." means something else than just an ending to a sentence or acronym.

As for #2 I do that all the time and do not have an issue. I click my cursor to the end of the line then hold down the shift key and use the left arrow key to go back as far as I need to, then use CTL+C to copy.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thank you both for your resplies. At least with #1, I know now that I'm not going crazy.

As for #2, the problem seems to only ocurr when I use only the mouse to highlight and copy. If I use the keyboard, the problem doesn't happen.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Thank you both for your resplies. At least with #1, I know now that I'm not going crazy.

As for #2, the problem seems to only ocurr when I use only the mouse to highlight and copy. If I use the keyboard, the problem doesn't happen.

i think that is the reason I gave up on the mouse, was having issues, but its been a while so I cant remember what, Im just used to the keyboard now so thats how I do it.