Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

internet explorer

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
My granddaughter's Gateway laptop recently had to have the harddrive replaced. While there were issues prior to this, with being able to get on the internet, internet explorer, email etc. since that time, i just cannot get tis thing set up for her at all.
OS - is XP with media center
free space is not the issue either. We have made contact with hotmail and their tests do not indicate any issues.
The fact remains, we cannot sign on. There must be something that i am not completing properly with the set up wizatd.
It is dialup as they live in the mountains where that is the only option.
There are various errors but mostly that it does not connect/ connection not made/modem not detected.
I did trouble shoot the modem and it is fine.

This is one that is really giving me a lot of grief. Her father gave it to her so they could "chat" when he has computer time in Iraq. At this rate he will be home before i get her online.

Will anyone pleae help?

Oh, i saw one person's post and answer and it was suggested that Firefox wouuld be better. Could that solve any of this???

Advertisements

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Are you getting connected to the dial-up server? If not then contact your ISP they will be able to help you. Most Isp offer a cd that can set your computer up for you. If you got one of those try that. If you are connected to your Isp then the setting in IE are wrong. Please let me know and I can walk you through how to change them to make it work. Also in my opinion Firefox is a better browser but it won't help you with your problem now.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
We are using internet explorer and hotmail on my computer to access her emails.
She is trying to use the outlook express as we speak to see what that will do.
On the internet explorer we are getting no place fast.
i am not sure if we are going to be getting any thing returned that she has tried on the outlook express.

was there anything else that i could tell you that would help?

we would really like to get that straightened out.

it needs to be baby steps, please.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok, who is your internet service provider? IE AOL, MSN, Earthlink. Ok Go to control panel. Open that up find a folder that says internet options. Click on connections. Tell me what it says under dial up connections Please. Then I can go from there.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Good morning - sorry to be so late in getting back with you(mother-in-law SOS)
Connections says dial-up Connection (default)
Interney Explorer and Hotmail is what they are currently using.

By the way I have done IPConfig /all and got the address and did the ping and all 4 packets were good,

Hope that info is helpful.

When i had dial-up for my computer many moons ago, i had to have an extra little box in addition to the phone cord connecting to the phone. Has this been eliminated from the current equation?

Hope what i have supplied you with will be helpful and thank you very much for your help and patience with my slow responses.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In modern computers the dial up modem is built into the computer. Please do the following:

1: If you have two phone sockets in the computer make sure that the cable that goes from the wall socket is connected to the one marked Line. If there is only one connection then there is no place for mistakes.

2: Go to Control Panel and open Phone and Modem options. Click on Modems > Properties. Under General Tab In Device Status see if the device is working properly. If it doesn't, use the troubleshoot option on the same page.

3: In Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device manager, look for Modems and see if there is yellow mark next to it. There shouldn't be one.

4: Assuming everything is OK so far, open Internet explorer > tools > internet options > connections > setup. Follow the wizard to re-create your dial-up connection.

5: If still no good your fastest option may be to approach the technical support of your internet service provider.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
thank you - just printed your instructions with this computer and will go ck what you have instructed

thank you again.

so far, i have been unable to get as far as having the tools available but will still give it a go.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
The little box I think you are referring to are the old external modems. Being that this is a newer computer it should have one built in. Since I still don't know what Internet service provider that you are using it makes it real hard to find the correct setting that you need. Internet Explorer is a web browser every one has that. Also Hotmail is a free web based email program. The computer needs to dial a server to access the Internet. Some of the most popular dial up servers around are Aol, Msn, Earthlink, People pc online ect. OR maybe you have a local one. Like for me there is a company in my town that offers dial up Internet. Mine is Bluebonnet. Can Find them at Bluebonnet.net But since this company is in east Texas then it would not work for you. I would suggest that you try this its Msn it has a free 3 month trial. Or you can use any other one that you choose and see if that helps.

MSNMSN Website

Hope this helps

Tom

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Back again this AM- the provider is MSN. When the hard-drive was replaced, for some reason the internet explorer wasn't there. Could my download of that be another source of challenges?? It seemed to install on her computer without any glitches.
I will take your suggestion about contacting them. I THOUGHT i had a dialogue going with them in the past but nothing came of it.
There has been a major challenge with having her be able to ck her emails from the beginning and her Daddy began a dialogue with them earlier on. Since he is on active duty it is a bit of a challenge to complete that trouble ticket and fight a war at the same time. So, I am trying to fix this so he and his girls can have another form of communication.

I will keep working with this and i truly appreciate the info you helped me ck out and eliminate as possible causes.

Edited by headwayne, 15 October 2007 - 09:16 AM.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I am back again-
We are connected but there is now an issue of a domain entry that has us stumped. Is this something that my son (not always accessible as he is in Iraq) would have set up or something to do with the phone co or MSN or what?
I had everything gone over that i have done by a friend who earns his living with computers and he said that i have everything done properly but he hasn't a clue about the domain entry.
We tried several things like the phone co name and msn and combos of such and that didn't solve it.
Can anyone point me in the proper direction for solving this one??

Thank you in advance