Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommendations for Sound Card?

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I'm shopping around for a new sound card...Dell recommends Audigy 2ZS or NS....Creative is telling me that XFi Extreme Audio is awesome... When I asked CREATIVE Sales saying Dell recommended specifically those two card..he replied that thats the only two they sell..not the only two that will work in my Dimension 9150 Desktop which leads to a few questions:

1. Sound Cards are not "rocket science" ...pretty much any card will work in any machine as long as you meet the minimum requirments listed on the back of the packaging??

2. Which Card would you recommend for a person that doesn't "game" just pretty much enjoys listening to music?

The more I go round and round with this...the more confused I get.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Sound cards are over-rated. They do increase the performance of the computer and put out better quality sound then stock motherboard sound but not that much.

But if you are listening to a lot of music then I guess it would be good.

The only sound cards that stand out and are a must have are the Creative X-Fi cards. If you have a PCI slot, like nearly all computers made in the last 8 or so years, you can install one.
I would get this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102007
It is made by Creative, has the X-Fi audio chipset, and is one of the cheapest.

Some of the features of the X-Fi chipsets over stock motherboard audio is the

X-Fi 24-bit Crystalizer that enhances MP3 and movie sound for cleaner, smoother and more audio that is even better than what you would expect from original CDs or DVDs! It even automatically upgrades existing games to Xtreme Fidelity quality.

and the X-Fi CMSS-3D Intelligent Surround Sound Remixing that

intelligently upgrades your stereo MP3 music, movies and games to surround sound using your stereo speakers, headphones or multi-channel speakers.

Edited by jackflash1991, 11 October 2007 - 07:13 PM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks Jack...ok...as I am of the opinion that the only "stoopid" question is the one unasked and as I am certifiably (or terminally, if you prefer) blonde...what does the term chipset mean exactly?

The card you gave the url for is exactly the one that CREATIVE Sales recommended.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 12 October 2007 - 06:47 AM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
The chipset is the thing that does all of the work for the card. But you really do not have to worry about it for compatiblity issues just that it is a nice one.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
OK....to all of you A GREAT BIG THANK YOU.

Final Resolution....the card is the problem. Why? Cos up till now all connections were in the proper colour coded slot.
Mic is Pink. Speakers are Black. Headphones are Green. When I interchanged the black and green connections plugging speakers in Green and Headphones in Black...the headphones work...the speakers do not. The Green jack seems to be the defective slot on the card and it just up and did it all by itself overnight...soooo there ya go. (even I can't make this stuff up) I ordered a new card.

Quick! Someone lock this thread! Thanks...Have a super weekend everyone!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 12 October 2007 - 01:52 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Quick! Someone lock this thread!

Why? You might need to ask another question! :)

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
:) Very Funny....another favourite quote of mine...."The only "dumb" question is the question unasked." Thanks Guys!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 15 October 2007 - 07:08 AM.