Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

W2K - shutdown problems

• Please log in to reply

MKN

MKN

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I've got a computer with W2K SP4 installed. For couple months I've been facing problems with shutting down the system. All the usual windows (windows is shutting etc) disappear, I can see only blank desktop with mouse cursor still on and functioning. I have to hold the power button to switch off the ATX power supply. The longer computer works the bigger is the probability of it to happen. I've been trying to find the cause, without result. The main problem is that it doesn't happen every time I switch off the PC and I have to wait couple hours every time I make any change.

Generally it looks like some driver or service is messing it all up. The weird thing is that this configuration had been working for quite long time and I didn't make any significant change in both software and hardware. Maybe one of Windows updates?

My question is, instead of listing all my programs, all hardware and so on, what do you suggest to analyse the problem? How to find out which driver/service is hanging? Any other suggestion how to cope with it?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello MKN and welcome to GeekstoGo,

When was the inside of the computer last aired out?

We want to determine if a component of your computer is computer is overheating. To do this we need to get the temperatures for your computer.

If you haven't got it already, download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it.

Once it is finished installing, double-click the shortcut on your desktop to open it. It will scan your computer and in a little while. Please report the temperature readings. or post a screenshot of the readings.

A tutorial of using Speedfan is located Here

MKN

MKN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The inside of the computer is in a good condition. I've got SpeedFan instaled for quite a long time :) This is one of the things I check quite often (together with SMART readings etc.)
My temperatures:
Case: 26 C
CPU: 36 C
Core: 44 C
HD1: 33 C
As you can see they are quite low. CPU could be a little cooler, but I prefer silence and 44 C is very far from being dangerous.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2500+ (Palermo)
HDD: Samsung SP2504C

And, don't get me wrong, I think my computer skills are high enough, so can we skip the info for the beginners, OK? :)

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello MKN,

I apologize I misread your post. Have you given this Microsoft Knowlagebace a try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315409.

MKN

MKN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I've already read it. Unfortunately none of the suggested methods seems to be nice and easy, but rather laborious and time-consuming.
Anyway. It seems there's no other way. I'll keep you informed.