Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Tower Died: won't revive

• Please log in to reply

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Just wanted to say: you guys are the best. I've asked questions in many forums and gotten many answers, but you guys are the ones who actually know what you're talking about.

So I'm back.

My dad's desktop computer went blank last night. The entire tower just died. The peripherals work just fine - power lights on - but no lights on the tower.

Power supply is firmly attached and on.

Nothing's been done in the case since I replaced an optical drive around 3 months ago.
The computer is about 4 years old, but it has been working perfectly until now, never demonstrating any hardware issues. (Or anyway, not that I've noticed.)

Is there any way I can diagnose and fix this?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi howlleo...

Thanks for the kind words!

I would suspect the power supply. Unless you have a voltmeter handy, it's pretty tough to verify if the machine won't start. If you have another power supply available (a known good one), you can install that to see if the tower will power up. There are other things that can cause similar symptoms, but the power supply is the most common.

wannabe1

howlleo

howlleo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks.
It was the power supply. Unfortunately, the power supply seems to have zapped the motherboard on the way out.

I attached a new power supply and removed everything from the motherboard except the hard drive and processor. I got some lights on the box, but no beeps from the mb. I guess it's time for a new computer.

Thanks again!