Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MY COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

stern

stern

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
HI

I use WIN XP PRO SP2 and recently when I log on the first thing that crops up after desktop icons appear is as per attached

Can anyone pls help as to why this is happening. Never experienced anything like that before.

Tks

[attachment=16104:ScreenShot044.jpg]

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Try this:
Backup your Registry before making any changes.

Start -> Run -> type "regedit" without the quotes

Then go to:

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon

In there there should be a value (on right hand side of screen) called Userinit.

The data for this value is probably something similar to:

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

If you do see a duplicated string in there similar to the above - simply double click on the Userinit value and edit the data so as to delete everything to the right of the first comma (,). In the case above you would leave only:

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

stern

stern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Tks for info. No action taken because only one entry found was the one you indicated.

Where do we go from here ??

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Try right clicking on the taskbar and go to Toolbars then remove ticks in pane against My Computer.

stern

stern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Malcolm59uk

Tks but unfortunately I am unable to find any sign of My Computer in the Toolsbars list which you suggested. Are you using the same version as myself. XP PRO SP2.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yeah,

There is no toolbar for "My computer" unless you have specified one. There seems to be a growing amount of people who have windows just popping up when they start windows. I'm not sure if one of the updates maybe caused this. Anyway, if you are comfortable running a tool to find and delete invalid registry entries, try that. I would suggest you back up your registry first and like i said, only do it if you know how, and feel comfortable doing it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi stern...

Can you open Registry Editor, navigate to the following key, and get me a screen capture of the Registry Editor window?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run <---- left click once on Run

A screenshot of the RunOnce key may be helpful, as well.

wannabe1

stern

stern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Hi stern...

Can you open Registry Editor, navigate to the following key, and get me a screen capture of the Registry Editor window?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run <---- left click once on Run

A screenshot of the RunOnce key may be helpful, as well.

wannabe1

I am attaching screenshot as suggested. Hopefully it has been done s correctly

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Everything looks as it should there.

Click Start, then All Programs, right click on the "Start" folder, and choose "Open". List what you find in that folder for me.

stern

stern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
HI

As requested here is outcome

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you place that Shortcut in the Start folder?

One more bit of information. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". In the Configuration window, click on the "Startup" tab. Get a screenshot or screenshots showing me everything listed under that tab.

stern

stern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi

The item to which I think you are referring is that for my ISP connection to the net

Here screenshot of msconfig as requested

stern

stern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi

Since my last response, had another look at the item in Startup which was something to do with alice-dsl.de
This is in connection with my ISP. Decided to right click on it, activated open and it turned out that it activated MY COMPUTER which is the culprit causing the problems being experienced.
I then went to msconfig, removed the tick shown against this item. Restarted and MY COMPUTER no longer being activated.
I have no idea how this happened in the first instance. Thinking back I wondered why on earth I always had to activate my IE connection manually.

Now that problem has been solved, can you pls inform me how to go about entering a prog in startup in order that it does startup automatically.

Tks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad you got that sorted....I figured that was the culprit, and the msconfig window confirmed it to me.

Many programs will have an option to start it with Windows...usually in their Preferences or Options settings. If they don't, open the Start folder as you did earlier and drag the icon for the program you want to start from the desktop into the Start folder. That program will then start when Windows loads.

stern

stern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi All

Problems eventually sorted. Many thanks for everyones effort. Much appreciated