Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Firewall redundancy

• Please log in to reply

oldtoot

oldtoot

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have Windows XP installed on a Dell laptop and a wireless router installed as well in the hope of adding a laptop to my home network. I have Zonealarm free installed on the laptop. A newsletter I subscribe to says addition of a third party firewall is overkill if Windows firewall is enabled and might cause problems. Agree or disagree?

I have turned to this forum in the past with problems and have NEVER been disappointed with the help I received! Thank You so much for being here!

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Strongly Disagree.

Windows firewall is a better than nothing solution, I would disable Windows firewall and use zone alarm.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yeah,

Go with what jaxisland said, Windows Firewall just lets anything through your PC. I also use Zonealarm on my laptop and it works great.