Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nothing right in my left brain, nothing left in my right brain

• Please log in to reply

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Found this nice little link on another forum :)

LINK

The Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

There's a description of each brain sides' characteristics.

Post your results here! :)

Apparently I am right brained (turning clockwise for me) unlike most people. I'm also left handed; I'm wondering if there's a connection.

Advertisements

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
I can make her turn left,right and make her jump up&down :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Apparently I am right brained (turning clockwise for me) unlike most people. I'm also left handed; I'm wondering if there's a connection.

I'm left-handed as well, and yes, the opposite side of the brain does control it. I have a quote that reads "If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handed people are in their right mind". :)

I'm very confused though. When I first went to it, it was turning clockwise. I read the descriptions of the characteristics and looked again, and it was turning counter clockwise. I sat and stared for a while, and it would change periodically. Sometimes, there would be a pause and then it would change direction - other times, it would just suddenly change. At this point, I don't know if my mind is doing that, or whether this is one of those things that attempts to fool you by changing periodically. I want you all to go back and watch it for a bit and tell me if it happens to you!

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
You're right,after starring at it for a couple of seconds it changes direction.But only if you concentrate!

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

I'm left-handed as well, and yes, the opposite side of the brain does control it. I have a quote that reads "If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handed people are in their right mind". :)

I'm very confused though. When I first went to it, it was turning clockwise. I read the descriptions of the characteristics and looked again, and it was turning counter clockwise. I sat and stared for a while, and it would change periodically. Sometimes, there would be a pause and then it would change direction - other times, it would just suddenly change. At this point, I don't know if my mind is doing that, or whether this is one of those things that attempts to fool you by changing periodically. I want you all to go back and watch it for a bit and tell me if it happens to you!

Hmm, yes. Apparently there is a slight connection: I've seen some right-handed people with their right brain dominating.

As for the animation, I believe it is not an attempt to fool anyone: first and foremost I seriously doubt the Daily Telegraph pull pranks on people :), and secondly, people who have analyzed the animation found out it's strictly moving clockwise, so we ARE right, sari :) Pardon the pun(s).

Yeah, sometimes it changes for me too. You can try looking at her heels or staring at the right side of the screen; it seems to help changing the direction sometimes. However, it's clockwise most of the time. My mother tried this out and she found out the dancer switches directions; I'm wondering if it actually states how much right brained you are.

Anyway, to test the validity of this test, I went to 2 more online tests featuring questions that you have to answer, and on both of these, I am a right brainer. So I guess this is really true! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....why is she naked? does that make me "male sided"?

that's a bunk test...your brain isn't changing the direction she's turning..the animation is changing...when she's turning clockwise...her right leg is up and when she's going the other way it's left leg

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wrong! Nothing changes! You all have been tricked!

:)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

....why is she naked? does that make me "male sided"?

that's a bunk test...your brain isn't changing the direction she's turning..the animation is changing...when she's turning clockwise...her right leg is up and when she's going the other way it's left leg

Hehe, actually it doesn't change. Check it in your favorite graphical editor :)

Oh, and I guess I'm male sided too :)

Edited by landlord, 16 October 2007 - 06:02 PM.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Wrong! Nothing changes! You all have been tricked!

:)

tricked for sure. It freaked me out at first when she changed direction,, then again,, and again..
So I took her to the animation shop to view all 34 pics.. I have no clue how they do it. But she reverses order randomly.
Someone tell me how?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i assure you that the order changes....you can be looking at it...and refresh teh page...she will ALWAYS start out clockwise...then change to counterclockwise and back....there's no way for an image like that to "switch legs" if she were truly spinning in one direction...it would always be one leg that was up...not switching between the two

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
dsenette is absolutely correct on this. She switches, and it's random - sometimes she'll spin in one direction for a fairly long time. When she spins right, her right leg and arm are raised, and her head is tilted to the right. When she spins left, her left leg and arm are raised and her head tilts to the left. Look at her when her back is to you - it's the easiest way to see it because you're facing in the same direction.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
dsenette, look at the image with another person and let us know how it works out..... I just did it and every time the image went counter-clockwise for my friend it went clockwise for me etc.
i didn't believe it until just then.

As johnny carson would say "That is some weird, wild stuff"

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
move your IE window down to where you can just see her butt and legs...the top half tends to be distracting because of the arms and the head...i fyou're just watching the lower body it's easier to see the switch

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
now this is all making my head hurt :) she's turning right for me always...duh...huh???

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
spoon007, you sometimes have to watch for a while. I've had it switch in the space of 10 or 15 seconds, but the last time, she went right for a minute or more before she switched. She definitely switches.