Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
So,

I download a Windows Update [to test] it was KB885626 and i put it in a folder on my desktop, right?
I take down the file size and what i downloaded it with. I come back from showering, having supper etc and guess what?!

My original file was 458kb, i go TO THE EXACT SAME FILE and it is 494kb!! What the....

I downloaded 3 updates to just test with, they have all 'grown' in size! How is this possible?!

Besides that none of them work now if they are under 1mb, and if they are over 1mb they seem to work fine

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Congratulations, i see you area future linux man, you wont regret it. Fedora Forever

If i had to guess though i'd say windows just refreshes itself and registers a slightly different size, if you right clixk and select properties you will see file size and file size on disk which are different, nothing i'd get worried about.

-OCM770-

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yes :)

Soon i will dual boot and start learning how to use Linux. Right now i am not there yet.

It's not really the file size that worries me, the problem is the files give me a "Not a valid Win32 application" error

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok, hadn't seen that part. I can now suggest three things.

One, download again and make SURE it downloads completely, microsoft's download site gives tells you what the filesize should be.

Two, use windowsupdate.microsoft.com (IE 5+ only) and download and install your updates from there.

Three, get them from www.thehotfix.com

-OCM770-

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks -OCM770-

I will try. Pretty sure i will see you again when i install Linux :)