Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

ravantwin

ravantwin

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I installed a MMORPG called City of Heroes a while back. It has run fine, but recently started giving me the BSOD with the two alerts of PFN List corrupt and IRQL not less or equal. The stop codes were 0X0000004E, 0X0000008F, 0X0003931B, 0X0001C85B, AND 0X00000000. I went to the chat room and a nice fellow suggested I go to the offline crash diagnostic tool. I did and got two ID numbers, 79 (2 of them) and 685 (8 of them). The fellow suggest I post this in a new topic. Can you help? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game, it doesn't seem to help.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We want to run the Offline Crash Diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the Offline Crash Diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type ocadiagnostic.exe ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the response IDS with your next post.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you,

Alright, I did the Offline Diagnostic Crash tool and the ID numbers that they returned are... 685, 79, and 603 (There are several of the 685 and 79 but only one 603.)

Sharon

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We need to run some Memory Diagnostics. Please Download Memtest86. Unzip memtest86. (Right click on the file and click extract all. )
There will be a file in there called Memtest. Burn Memtest to a CD with a ISO CD Burner.. If you do not have a ISO CD Burner you can use Deepburner.

To burn with Deepburner:

Open Deepburner.
Select Burn ISO to disk.
Under Image File
Select the ... Or point to the location where memtest86 is located.
Find the Location where Memtest is located click open.
Click Burn ISO

Then please boot to Memtest86 from the CD you just created.
(Consult your Computer or Motherboard Manufacture manual on how to do so on a lot of systems it should just boot to it.)

Please run overnight. Report back if you get any errors.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
O.K. am downloading Memtest right now, ty...

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I am having difficulty with DeepBurner. I do not have an Iso cd burner so have successfully downloaded deepburner. However, when I click on Burn ISO Image, it does not give me the option of choosing an image file. It has a JDrive selected 1:0:0,D:NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A102C. I have re-saved both the memtest86 and the DeepBurner downloads and keep running into this same problem

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello ravantwin,

To choose the image file you click on the ... in the area where it says image file.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hmmm... I believe I have it on CD now but am unable to run it

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
When I replace the CD it shows files currently on the CD and Memtest is there, I have tried to open it with Deep Burn and it doesn't open

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go to Alex Feinman 's website and download the Isorecorder power toy. Install it on a working machine and reboot. Place a blank cd in your cd-burner and then right click memtest86-3.3.iso, and choose extract all from the context menu. Now open up the folder memtest86-3.3.iso, right-click on memtest, and choose burn to cd from the context menu.

Advertisements

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
O.K. I've done this, shall I run the CD now?

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I've loaded the CD and it has a folder called BOOT

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ravantwin.

Now or overnight it does not matter just let it run for about 8 hours at least. Report back if any errors.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
My Memtest Download must be corrupt, I don't have a program that seems to be able to run it

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
If I open it with Deep Burner, I get a grey screen with Mb chart on the bottom, nothing appears to be happening