Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp wont boot!

• Please log in to reply

Richo8

Richo8

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

I have windows Xp Pro, when i turn it on it gives me the message about a unexpected shutdown, it then gives me the option of safe mode or normal. Safe mode starts to list all the drivers etc then it freezes for ages and then eventually reboots, Normal mode just brings up the windows loading screen and then reboots. i cant run my recovery console as i dont know my admin password although i swear i left it blank.

In safe mode the boot keeps freezing on: System32/drivers/agp440.sys (is there a reason for this?)

Can anyone help!!!!

Cheers Rich

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Richo8...

It's actually hanging on the file after agp440.sys...whatever that may be. apg440.sys is the last file that loaded successfully.

What kind of machine do you have? Is it a brand name machine like Dell or HP?

Do you have an XP installation cd?

wannabe1

Richo8

Richo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

The computer is a custom build,

Spec:

1024 ram
120 gd Sata
3.2 Ghz intel

The Hard drive has a partition, running both Xp pro and vista.

i do have an xp installation CD, but i cannot find the admin password even though i am 90% sure i left it blank for these sorts of reasons!!!

Rich

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Which was installed last? Vista or XP?

Richo8

Richo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Vista was installed last.

But Xp was running when it crashed, thing is i was not actually there when it happened.

i booted up Xp everything was fine, i then left my room for 20 mins leaving xp idle, on my return everything had rebooted saying improper shutdown, and safe mode options etc!!

Rich

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With Vista installed last, you are likely needing to boot from the BCD and Recovery Console looks for the boot.ini. Have you tried booting from the Vista cd?

If you can get into Vista we might be able to get XP going again from there.

Richo8

Richo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

I cant get into vista either, i would just use recovery console if i knew admin password!!!

To be honest i would just format the hard drive and reinstall, but i have alot of music saved onto my itunes which is not backed up, and because my ipod is synced with it, a fresh install will wipe the ipod!!!

Rich