Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failed directx diagnostic tool test

• Please log in to reply

ki11az

ki11az

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The reason why i am updating my video driver because I received a blue screen each time trying to play Team Fortress 2. After the system rebooted, i get a message from windows saying " Windows has recovered from a serious error." I sent the log in to microsoft and they said i should update my drivers. So i follow the instructions to update the drivers and restarted. Once i came back to the desktop screen i tried to start World of Warcraft (which was working with the drivers given to me from video card) and it said:

"World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration. Please make sure DirectX 9.0c is installed and your video drivers are up to date."

So I tried to start another game such as Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike, which both failed to start. This is after I tested the Direct3D Acceleration test in the Dxdiag. I have attached the Dxdiag test to this post. can someone please tell me why this problem is happening and what i need to do to fix it. thank you

Attached Files

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
You can rollback your drivers that you installed

go to control panel > system > click on the hardware tab > device manager > display drivers > first lefy click on the small + sign so it shows your gfx card > right click on it > properties > click on the driver tab > roll back driver

This will go back to giving you a Blue screen of death [BSOD] when you try playing Team Fortress 2 however it is better than having no grpahics to play with at all. I hardly ever update toi the latest drivers if mine are stable and work fine.

Let us know if it works :)

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We want to run the offline crash diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the offline crash diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type [i]ocadiagnostic.exe[/i] ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the Response IDS with your next post.

ki11az

ki11az

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I attached the result I received from the Offline Crash Diagnostic

Yes, i have rolled my drivers back to the original which are returning everything but Team Fortress 2 back to normal. I would like to find someway to be able to play the game without getting the blue screen. Though i did try reinstalling the game, ill see how it turns out and report back

Attached Files

Edited by ki11az, 13 October 2007 - 09:56 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
ki11Az,

What is the make and model of your ATI graphics card?

ki11az

ki11az

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Here is some more information of my ATI card
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: RADEON X800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter AGP (0x554D)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_554D&SUBSYS_03021002&REV_00
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6512 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 2/1/2005 22:39:38, 223744 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

I have also attached a picture of the ATI card

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
The Blue screen is the fault of your ATI Video Drivers.

You will need to reinstall your video drivers.

To do that:

Step 1: Go into Add/remove programs.
Click on Start.
Click on Control Panel.
Click on Add/remove programs
Step 2: Uninstall Your video card drivers.
Click remove on everything that has your video card manufactures name on it.
Step 3: Reboot.
Step 4: Download the latest Video Card drivers.
http://game.amd.com/...p=xp/radeonx-xp
Step 5: Install
Step 6: Reboot.