Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confusing and frustrating problem, programs/ports being blocked?

• Please log in to reply

givememyleg

givememyleg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Confusing and frustrating problem, programs/ports being blocked?

Hello,

First post here, sadly we meet because of a problem. I feel a bit like this: :) Post is a bit long, and sorry if it is posted in the incorrect area. Let's back track a bit.

On Wednesday of this week (10/10/07), everything was working 100% fine. I then did a standard reboot, because things started running kinda slow (comp had been on for quite a while). Then when I booted back up, it seemed as if certain ports were blocked? (I know some computer knowledge/lingo, but this is above my head.) First and for most I noticed aim would not work. It won't even load. Strangely, AIM will boot up under processes, but will never actually show up on my desktop. I open it, then my mouse goes busy for a second, then nothing happens. This process repeats everytime I open it. Here is a quick screenshot of what I mean:

Posted Image

So moving along, I notice other things stopped working. I can also not use MSN. It tells me my username/password does not exist (it does, and is correct). Also, I can not check my gmail or hotmail accounts. If I try going to gmail.com or hotmail.com, it just instantly displays "Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at login.live.com." Same thing with IE. When I say instantly, I mean it doesn't even TRY to load, right when I click sign-in, that pops up. Almost as if it is being blocked (like I said earlier). Strangely, other websites work 100% fine.

Also, I was curious to see how far this went. I tried downloading a simple torrent file, and it would not connect to it. I also can not connect to my PokerStars, or Full Tilt Poker applications. And like I said, other websites work fine (I'm on the computer right now.)

It isn't my router, I checked the admin panel and NOTHING is listed as blocked. Also I tried just removing the router and directly connected my cable modem to my computer, same problem. I should also mention that I have a laptop, and everything that doesn't work on my PC works on it.

SO, that must mean it's something on my computer. A virus perhaps? Some spyware? I have Norton, however "coincidentally" it isn't working correctly now (it was prior to Wednesday):

Posted Image

So, is there anything I can do? I tried running a full system scan with Norton and with Lavasoft Adaware and it did not detect anything. I really really really don't want to format, so any advice or anything that you can point me to is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello givememyleg and Welcome to GeekstoGo.

I would recommend reinstalling your AntiVirus software. It sounds as if some changes were made and/or your Norton is corrupt.

To get Norton Antivirus back to it's normal state do the following.

Step 1: Gather all your Norton CD's, CDKeys and registration information.
Step 2: Download and follow the instructions on using the Norton removal tool.
http://service1.syma...005033108162039
Step 3: Reinstall your antivirus.

If you think you have a Virus or any type of Malware.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

givememyleg

givememyleg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the very thorough and quick response! I am currently in the process of removing Norton and will reinstall it, thanks for the link. If this does not work I will then try your Malware suggestion. Thanks again.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

I tried downloading a simple torrent file, and it would not connect to it. I also can not connect to my PokerStars, or Full Tilt Poker applications.

Just so you know, torrents are a prime source of malware. Something happened, and it killed Norton. Uninstall, reboot, reinstall, pray. It may not work if the original problem is still present and borks Norton again, in which case you would be wise to follow Tux's advice and head to the malware forums.

I don't use AIM, but it seems a little unusual to have a dozen aim.exe processes running in Task Manager at once. The internet problems you are experiencing are likely from Norton's errors. Let us know how the Norton reinstall goes.
Johanna

givememyleg

givememyleg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Reinstalled Norton, and everything went fine. It is now working properly. I did a complete scan and it didn't detect anything.

I wasn't downloading torrents from unknown websites, it was actually a Nine Inch Nails torrent that the band posted on their website. I just did it for test purposes.

I also did some malware/spyware tests. Strangely my e-mail is working again, as is msn. However aim and certain things are still being blocked. So confused.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
givemealeg,

Have you tried reinstalling those programs to see if it fixes the problem?