Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card isnt working properly

• Please log in to reply

need taking care of

need taking care of

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
when i first bought my computer 2 years ago, i went to install my graphics card, (leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH) it didnt work so i brang it into the store and they fixed it for me but they said that they had to bench mark it, but anyway the main topic is. my computer was flooded with viruses bout a week ago i had to end up restarting windows but then once i had done that i installed the rpg game i play (city of heroes) once i did that it didnt detect my graphics card, i also did several other test's to see if my computer could respond to it and it cant sooo i am a bit worried but i was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem i will be very happy =]

oh and im sorry i cant provide too much more info becuase well.. im only jus tgetting into comps and learning bout them but i hope this provides enough. thank you =]

Edited by need taking care of, 13 October 2007 - 05:58 AM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello need taking care and welcome to GeekstoGo,

Lets go ahead and make sure all your hardware is registered and working correctly.

To do that go into device manager.

Click on start.
Click on Run.
Type in devmgmt.msc and press enter.

Do you see any X, ! ,?

need taking care of

need taking care of

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes i see a few a few !

Edited by need taking care of, 13 October 2007 - 05:57 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
need taking,

Go ahead and tell me what they are.

Also, Download and run WinAudit on the machine. Save a report in HTML format and e-mail it to me. This will generate three files, you need to send only the file named rightframe.html (right.html on some machines) Send Me a PM with the file as a attachment.

Please follow these Instructions for generating a WinAudit Report.

need taking care of

need taking care of

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i will still appreciate anyone elses ideas.

thanks

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Need taking care,

Due to the fact you seam to have some trouble sending me that report I have PMed you my email address. Please send the report to that email address

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
need taking care,

I got your PM and you stated that you did not want to send the file. That is fine that is why we have it emailed not posted in the forum. It is just more typing this way.
Open up device manager. Instructions on how to do so are in post 2. Tell me what it says next to each Yellow ! , X and Yellow ?.

Also what is the make and model of your computer if it is custom just say custom.

Edited by tuxmaster, 14 October 2007 - 01:57 AM.

need taking care of

need taking care of

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
its got a ! next to realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® controller

and one next to:

VIA CPU to AGP Controller

and my computer was custom built

thank you

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Need taking care of,

Do you know the exact make and model of your mainboard?
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the appropriate drivers?

need taking care of

need taking care of

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
it is a DFI Intel 865PE

and i am quite sure i installed drivers maybe u can help me with that but im quite sure i did =/

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You probably did but they failed. We are going to preform surgery on your drivers.

First remove your drivers completely from your computer to do that we need to get the file name of your driver first.

Click on Start.
Click on Run.
Type in devmgmt.msc and press enter.

Double click to bring up."VIA CPU to AGP Controller" Click on the driver tab. Click on driver details. Make note of the file path and name listed in there. Click Ok.
Go into add/remove programs. Click on uninstall. Search your computer for the filename you found earlier. Delete the file. Repeat for your Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA drivers.
Now reboot and reinstall your drivers. Installing chipset first.

Edited by tuxmaster, 15 October 2007 - 02:39 AM.

need taking care of

need taking care of

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hey i cant find uninstall in add or remove files nor can i find VIA CPU to AGP controller, though i can find realtek but anyways should i just uninstall it from device manager and do the same with the realtek? ,

and whats a chipset?

lol =[

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Need taking care,

That is to be expected for the VIA CPU to AGP. Uninstall from device manager for that and for realtek use add/remove programs. Be sure to search for the files and delete them after you uninstall. Also answer no to all the prompts to restart because you will be doing that on your own after you uninstall and remove the files.

need taking care of

need taking care of

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i cant remove realtek either =/

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
need taking,

Ok then just try to uninstall though device manager and remove the file. Also when there is a ! in device manager there is usually some error go ahead and give me the error code. To find the error code just double click on the device in device manager it would be in the first tab.